Paralympics: China’s gold rush continuesSeptember 8th, 2012 - 2:18 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 8 (IANS) China kept up its gold-taking momentum here at the Paralympics, boosting its gold total to 83.
The Asian giant clinched 13 gold medals Friday, reports Xinhua.
Meanwhile, Australian swimmer Jacqueline Freney stunned the world with a grand slam of eight golds from her eight events attended.
China, which topped the gold tally of Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008 with 63 and 89 golds respectively, is leading the London 2012 table with 83 gold, 65 silver and 58 bronze medals.
They are followed by hosts Britain with 32-40-42 and Russia in third position with 32-35-25.
With only two days left, China is sure to be on top of the medal standings. The only question is if China can add more to the tally.
On Day nine of competition, China’s clinched six golds from track and field, three from swimming, two from table tennis, and one each from wheelchair fencing and women’s sitting volleyball.
The Chinese women’s sitting volleyball team beat the US 3-1 in the final to achieve a hat-trick from Athens 2004 to London 2012.
China’s 15-year-old swimmer Yang Yang won the men’s 50m freestyle to be the top Chinese medallist here with four golds.
But the most shining star in the Paralympic pool was Freney, who was crowned in the women’s 4×100m medley to get her eighth gold out of her eight competing events in London.
The 20-year-old Australian, who suffers from cerebral palsy, stood on top of podium of all the eight events she attended, fulfilling an incredible grand slam.
She also refreshed three world records in London and is sure to be the top medallist of the London Paralympics.
Her eight events were women’s 50m freestyle, 100m freestyle, 400m freestyle, 50m butterfly, 100m backstroke, 200m individual medley, 4×100m freestyle relay, and 4×100m medley relay, all in S7 class.
- Paralympics: Chinese fencers shine, Australian swimmer wins sixth gold - Sep 05, 2012
- Swimmers raise China's Paralympic gold tally to 46 - Sep 04, 2012
- Golden girl in Paralympic pool - Sep 05, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Five Paralympic golds leave Savchenko incredulous - Sep 08, 2012
- South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualification - Apr 19, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Putin envisions Russia as Paralympic powerhouse - Sep 11, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Chinese swimming team get hero's welcome - Aug 07, 2012
- China gets 300th gold in Paralympic history - Sep 07, 2012
- Swimming sensation Franklin brings hope to Aurora - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,