Paralympic Games: Brazilian Dias wins 4th swimming goldSeptember 7th, 2012 - 2:29 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 7 (IANS) Brazilian swimmer Daniel Dias won his fourth gold medal at the London 2012 Paralympics in the 50-meter backstroke (class S5), beating his third world record during the Games.
Dias, a Paralympic version of Michael Phelps, won the competition with a time of 34.99 seconds, defeating Chinese He Junquan who timed 36.41 seconds here Thursday, reports Xinhua. Hungarian Zsolt Vereczkei was third in 38.92 seconds.
Dias jumped to fame in Beijing 2008, when he won nine medals, including four gold, four silver and one bronze.
On Thursday, Dias became one of Brazil’s most medaled para-athlete, reaching the 13-medal record shared by swimmer Clodoaldo Dias and runner Adria Santos, although Dias has won eight gold medals, the most among the three.
So far, Dias has won all the individual competitions he entered and set three world and one Paralympic records.
Dias will take part in two more individual races, 100-meter freestyle and 50-meter butterfly.
- Swimmers raise China's Paralympic gold tally to 46 - Sep 04, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Five Paralympic golds leave Savchenko incredulous - Sep 08, 2012
- Paralympics: China's gold rush continues - Sep 08, 2012
- Late burst gives Phelps 100m butterfly gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Swimming sensation Franklin brings hope to Aurora - Aug 04, 2012
- Golden girl in Paralympic pool - Sep 05, 2012
- Thorpe's Olympics bid fails at Australian trials - Mar 18, 2012
- Michael Phelps wins the gold medal at the FINA Swimming World Championship - Jul 27, 2011
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Paralympics: Chinese fencers shine, Australian swimmer wins sixth gold - Sep 05, 2012
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: athlete, beijing 2008, competitions, daniel dias, gold medal, gold medals, hungarian, london 2012, meter backstroke, meter butterfly, meter freestyle, michael phelps, paralympic games, paralympic version, paralympics, swimmer, third world, world record, xinhua, zsolt