Paraguay beat Japan, reach quarters for first timeJune 29th, 2010 - 11:47 pm ICT by IANS
Pretoria, June 29 (DPA) Paraguay reached the quarter-finals of the World Cup football for the first time in history with a lacklustre 0-0 (5-3) victory over Japan in penalties at Loftus Verfeld Stadium here Tuesday.
Japanese defender Yuichi Komano struck the crossbar on his penalty attempt to give Paraguay the victory in the first penalty shootout at South Africa 2010.
Paraguay will next face the winner between Spain and Portugal in the quarters Saturday in Johannesburg.
- Paraguay beat Japan, reach quarters for first time (Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- World Cup knockout round results and fixtures - Jun 30, 2010
- Spain can prove strong for over-achieving Paraguay - Jul 01, 2010
- World Cup 2010 results - Jul 12, 2010
- Spain reach semi-final with 1-0 win over Paraguay (Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- Ronaldo in shroud of shame after spit following WC exit - Jun 30, 2010
- Villa goal sends Spain through to quarter-finals - Jun 30, 2010
- Euro 2012: Spain beat Portugal 4-2 on penalties, reach final - Jun 28, 2012
- Spain reach semi-final with 1-0 win over Paraguay - Jul 04, 2010
- Portugal need to learn from mistakes: coach Queiroz - Jun 28, 2010
- Spain beat Chile 2-1, both qualify for Round 16 - Jun 26, 2010
- Euro 2012: Spain edge Portugal for third-straight Euro final (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- African teams struggle at World Cup on home soil - Jun 18, 2010
- Spain and Portugal lock horns in first World Cup meeting - Jun 28, 2010
- Spain's road to World Cup trophy - Jul 12, 2010