Palmeiras draw with Oeste, drop in standingsFebruary 24th, 2012 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Feb 24 (IANS) Palmeiras struggled to a 1-1 draw to Oeste in the ninth round of the Sao Paulo state football championship.
Oeste scored the game’s opening goal in the 11th minute after Palmeiras defender Marcio Araujo tackled Mazinho to the ground in front of the goal, resulting in a penalty kick.
Mazinho successfully converted the shot, beating keeper Bruno with a thunderous shot in the lower left side of the goal.
Palmerias tied the match just before halftime. In the 41st minute, recent arrival Barcos drove a shot directly at keeper Ze Carlos. Oeste’s goalie could not handle the ball cleanly, allowing the rebound to roll to Maikon Leite who did not waste the opportunity to score.
With solid defence from Oeste and a non-existent offensive game from Palmeiras, the game ended in a 1-1 draw, Xinhua reported.
The result Thursday drops Palmeiras down to second place with 21 points. Corinthians assumes first position on 23 points.
- Palmeiras thrash Botafogo-SP 6-2 - Mar 12, 2012
- Ronaldinho's Atletico falters, Vasco stays top - Jun 18, 2012
- Corinthians come from behind, Santos draw in season opener - Jan 22, 2012
- Palmeiras lead Sao Paulo state championship - Mar 18, 2012
- Liberatdores Cup: Corinthians beat Nacional - Mar 08, 2012
- Luis Fabiano leads Sao Paulo to victory - Mar 12, 2012
- Santos' seven-game winning streak ends - Mar 11, 2012
- Former Real Madrid coach leads Gremio into top four - Jun 25, 2012
- Corinthians top Group F in Libertadores Cup - Mar 22, 2012
- Neymar double continues Santos revival - Aug 26, 2012
- Corinthians into Copa Libertadores final - Jun 21, 2012
- Palmeiras defeats Ajax 1-0 in friendly - Jan 15, 2012
- Women's hockey Olympic qualifier: South Africa held to a draw by Italy - Feb 21, 2012
- Tite considers dropping Corinthians striker Liedson - Mar 23, 2012
- Corinthians secure Copa Libertadores knockout-stage berth - Apr 12, 2012