Palermo beat Catania in Sicily derbyApril 13th, 2008 - 4:07 pm ICT by admin
Milan, April 13 (DPA) Palermo edged Catania 1-0 to clinch a second straight win that helped them forget their previous four consecutive defeats. The diminutive Fabrizio Miccoli came in the second half and on 84th minute drilled a swerving free kick to the left of a stunned Ciro Polito, who had managed a couple of good saves for Catania earlier in the game Saturday.
Palermo last weekend snatched a last-gasp 3-2 win over Juventus and are now almost certain to remain in the top flight.
Catania also did well a week ago, crushing Napoli 3-0, but the defeat in the regional derby held them dangerously close to the three-team relegation zone.
With five games remaining, Catania have three points more than Livorno, Empoli and Cagliari, all lying jointly in second-from-last position before their Sunday games.
The game at Palermo’s Renzo Barbera flared up after a dull first half as Catania striker Gionatha Spinesi saw his great header deflected on 49 minutes by Federico Agliardi.
Palermo had a good chance five minutes later when Miccoli fired promptly but narrowly wide from inside the area after a good ball control.
Brazilian Amauri, who tried a header in the first half, came again close nodding a Bosko Jankovic cross on 67th minute as Palermo stepped up their pressure bringing on Uruguay’s Edison Cavani.
Giulio Migliaccio on 75th minute headed wide a well-curled free kick from Miccoli, who then scored his seventh goal in his injury-plagued season.
Milan lie fifth and badly need to improve their standing to secure one of four available Champions League berths.
The title race is an affair reserved for leaders Inter Milan and Roma, who trail four points adrift with six games left.
- Milan beat Roma to extend lead - Mar 25, 2012
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012
- Dull Juventus draw at Livorno with 10 men - Feb 07, 2010
- Juventus crash at Palermo, lose chance to go top - Oct 05, 2009
- Catania send giants Juventus to second straight defeat - Dec 21, 2009
- Juventus beat Catania to top Serie A - Feb 19, 2012
- Juventus crash at Genoa after Inter Milan home draw - Apr 12, 2009
- Nine men enough for Inter Milan to dominate city derby - Jan 25, 2010
- Roma, AC Milan close in on leaders Inter Milan - Feb 22, 2010
- Catania game against Roma suspended due to rain - Jan 15, 2012
- AC Milan still winless in Serie A - Sep 22, 2011
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Inter Milan move seven clear at top of Serie A - Nov 02, 2009
- Roma draw level with AC Milan in second place - Feb 01, 2010
Tags: amauri, cagliari, catania, edison cavinter milan, empoli, fabrizio, five games, four points, free kick, giulio migliaccio, good chance, juventus, last gasp, palermo, polito, renzo barbera, sicily, six games, top flight