Pakistan’s former Olympians protest against hockey federationJune 12th, 2012 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 12 (IANS) Pakistan’s former Olympians Tuesday launched a protest against the country’s hockey federation claiming its policies were hampering the future of the national team.
Dozens of protesters, including former players and others led by four Olympians Naveed Alam, Mansoor Ahmad, Saleem Nazim and Mohammad Saglain, gathered in front of the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) head office in the eastern city of Lahore. They raised slogans against the PHF officials, alleging that they are responsible for the miserable performance of the national team in the recently concluded Azlan Shah Hockey Cup in Malaysia.
The Olympians also demanded the removal of the incumbent management of the federation, Xinhua reported.
Alam announced that they would continue the protest for the next five days and would force the government to appoint a new body.
According to Alam, if the government does not take action to remove the PHF officials they would appeal in the Supreme Court.
One of the PHF officials alleged that the Alam group had no sincerity for the betterment of the game and they only wanted to disturb the team’s preparations for the London Olympics.
Pakistan could win only their first match against Argentina in the recently concluded Azlan Shah Hockey Cup in Malaysia and were beaten in five successive matches by New Zealand, South Korea, Malaysia, India and Britain.
Former player Manzoor Junior said: “I am very disappointed with the team’s performance. It showed the true face of the squad to the hockey lovers who want to see Pakistan regaining lost glory in hockey.”
Pakistan are on a European tour to play some practice matches ahead of the Olympics.
- Pakistan orders probe into hockey team's poor performance - Jun 06, 2012
- Pakistan recall rebel hockey players for Euro tour - Jun 08, 2012
- 'PHF negating 2012 Olympics vision by selecting senior players for Azlan Shah Cup' - Apr 30, 2011
- pakistan fines rebel hockey players, spares them ban - May 31, 2012
- 'Disappointed' Pak scrambles to arrange another hockey series after India postponement - Mar 16, 2011
- Veteran Zeeshan Ashraf left out of Pakistan hockey squad - May 21, 2011
- Pakistan hockey in turmoil again - Jul 23, 2009
- Pak plans to avenge cricket WC semi-final loss by defeating India on hockey field - Apr 02, 2011
- Pakistan determined to win Azlan Shah Cup, says Imran - May 01, 2011
- PHF warns hockey players to leave 'controversial league' WSH or face action - Apr 22, 2011
- Pakistani hockey players could face action for ties with WSH - Apr 24, 2011
- Pakistani fans happy with hockey team despite loss to India - Sep 14, 2011
- Pakistan drop seniors for Asian Champions Trophy hockey - Aug 19, 2011
- Pakistan will return empty-handed from Olympics: Experts - Jul 30, 2012
- Argentina drop hockey player who featured in Falklands ad - May 09, 2012
Tags: ahmad, betterment, hockey federation, hockey lovers, islamabad, korea malaysia, lahore, london olympics, mansoor, manzoor, miserable performance, mohammad, nazim, phf, saleem, sincerity, slogans, south korea, true face, xinhua