Pakistan’s cricketing isolation can end in OctoberFebruary 24th, 2011 - 2:54 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Feb 24 (ANI): Pakistan can come out of cricketing isolation in October if Sri Lanka, who were targeted in a deadly terror attack in Lahore two years ago, agree to tour the troubled country.
Sri Lanka officials said they were in talks with the International Cricket Council’s Pakistan Task Team (PTT) to explore the possibilities.
“We are still discussing the option with the ICC and with all the other board members,” said Sri Lanka Cricket chairman Somachandra de Silva.
“There are still some security concerns in Pakistan but if things improve, and Pakistan is a brotherly nation, we can consider it - all depends on the ICC’s clearance,” FOX Sports quoted De Silva, as saying.
Sri Lanka is scheduled to tour Pakistan in October this year under the Future Tests Programme.
According to reports in the Pakistan media, the governments of both countries are already in talks to hold the series in Pakistan.
The attacks on the Sri Lanka team bus on March 9, 2009, killed eight people and injured seven Sri Lanka players as well as their assistant coach, leading to the suspension of all international cricket in Pakistan.
Barely a month later, the ICC stripped Pakistan of their share of ICC World Cup matches, forcing the team to play all their Group A matches in Sri Lanka, co-hosts with India and Bangladesh.
The suspension also meant Pakistan has been forced to play their home series in the United Arab Emirates, England and New Zealand for the last two years. (ANI)
- Sri Lanka to end Pakistan's cricketing isolation with October series in country - Feb 25, 2011
- PCB requests Sri Lankan board for full series Pak tour in 2011 - Feb 26, 2011
- Sri Lanka refuse to tour Pakistan - May 24, 2011
- Pakistan want to host ICC event in 2018 - Jun 30, 2011
- Pakistan tour: Bangladesh Cricket Board satisfied with security - Mar 05, 2012
- Sri Lanka's Pakistan tour awaiting clearances - Mar 28, 2011
- No international cricket match to be played in Pakistan, for now: Dave Richardson - Jan 15, 2011
- Pakistan to face Sri Lanka and England in UAE - Jun 21, 2011
- ICC may allow local match officials in Pakistan - Mar 07, 2012
- Mani slams PCB over lack of effort to restore international matches in Pak - Jul 26, 2010
- ICC hails Australia's decision to play Afghanistan - Jul 02, 2012
- Pakistan cricket team to tour Sri Lanka in June - Apr 30, 2012
- Pakistan cricketers starts preparations for upcoming Sri Lanka tour - May 17, 2012
- 'Spot-fixing' scam diverted attention from possible 'home games': Butt - Nov 03, 2010
- Pakistan capable of winning World Cup, says Aravinda de Silva - Mar 17, 2011
Tags: assistant coach, bangladesh, board members, cricketing, de silva, fox sports, governments, icc world cup, international cricket council, isolation, lanka officials, melbourne, pakistan media, possibilities, ptt, security concerns, sri lanka cricket, team bus, terror attack, united arab emirates