Pakistani fans happy with hockey team despite loss to IndiaSeptember 14th, 2011 - 5:31 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 14 (IANS) The Pakistan hockey team may have lost to its arch-rivals India in Asian Hockey Championship final but most of the Pakistani people and hockey officials here are satisfied with the team’s impressive performance.
Pakistani hockey fans and team manager expressed their satisfaction with the young team’s performance.
The Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) was criticised for resting some senior players and inducting junior players for the tournament.
Before the team’s departure to China for the mega event, many sports analysts criticized the PHF’s decision. However, the team’s performance silenced all the critics.
“We were really unlucky, we were in control during field game in the final but somehow failed to score in shoot-out,” team manager Khawaja Junaid was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
Junaid, an Olympian, said that even reaching the final with a young team was a major achievement as Pakistan tried out several youngsters, and this decision will help Pakistan to prepare a best team for the London Olympics.
By winning three matches, losing one and drawing one, the Pakistan team got ten points before playing the final match against India on Sunday in Ordos, China.
Muhammad Imran, a hockey fan from capital Islamabad, said that though the team lost in the end, he was happy as the team’s improvement was excellent.
The Pakistan team was warmly welcomed by the officials and hockey fans when they arrived at the international airport in the country’s southern port city of Karachi.
- Pakistan drop seniors for Asian Champions Trophy hockey - Aug 19, 2011
- Pak plans to avenge cricket WC semi-final loss by defeating India on hockey field - Apr 02, 2011
- Pakistan's former Olympians protest against hockey federation - Jun 12, 2012
- Asian Champions Trophy: India to play attacking game against Pakistan - Sep 10, 2011
- Pakistan will return empty-handed from Olympics: Experts - Jul 30, 2012
- Pakistan orders probe into hockey team's poor performance - Jun 06, 2012
- Asian Champions Trophy: Indian eves lose 0-4 to China - Sep 08, 2011
- 'Pakistan hockey on right track for London Olympics' - May 18, 2011
- Qualification for 2012 Olympics tough: Nobbs - Sep 13, 2011
- Pakistan hockey team completes Olympic training at Abbottabad - Jul 09, 2012
- Shakeel Abbasi to lead Pakistan hockey team, Sohail Abbas back - Oct 11, 2011
- Pakistan recall rebel hockey players for Euro tour - Jun 08, 2012
- 'PCB's disastrous decisions ruining Pakistan cricket' - Apr 27, 2011
- Pakistan hockey team leaves for Olympics - Jul 13, 2012
- 'Sohail, Akbar will boost Pakistan's chances in Asian Games hockey' - Nov 03, 2010
Tags: arch rivals, capital islamabad, field game, final match, hockey championship, hockey fan, hockey fans, hockey federation, hockey officials, hockey team, impressive performance, karachi, london olympics, muhammad, ordos, pakistan team, phf, shoot out, xinhua, youngsters