Pakistan women cricketers undergo dope testJanuary 25th, 2009 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Jan 25 (IANS) Pakistan’s women cricketers, currently preparing for World Cup in Australia in March, underwent dope tests Saturday.According to information here, the Pakistan Cricket Board(PCB) collected urine samples from the women cricketers and sent these to a laboratory in Malaysia accredited with the World Anti Doping Agency (WADA).
This is the first time in the history of Pakistan cricket that female cricketers have been asked to give dope tests.
The PCB has adopted strict anti-doping regulations following a series of dope-related incidents involving a couple of star cricketers.
Pakistan’s pace duo of Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif tested positive for banned anabolic steroid nandrolone in 2006 while playing in the Champions Trophy in India. Asif also failed a second dope test last May while featuring in the inaugural season of the Indian Premier League (IPL). The incidents have attracted a lot of negative publicity for Pakistan cricket.
A source in the PCB said the women cricketers were asked to give dope tests to avoid any embarrassment during the World Cup.
Pakistani women have qualified for the World Cup for the first time and will take on India in their opening match March 7.
The national women’s team is also due to take part in the tri-nation tournament to be held in Bangladesh next month. The event will also feature Sri Lanka and host Bangladesh.
- Four cricketers of current Pak squad undergo "dope tests" in England - Sep 16, 2010
- Pakistan women cricketers clear dope test for World Cup - Jan 27, 2009
- ICC's anti-doping team to visit Pakistan - Feb 08, 2009
- ICC suspends Sri Lanka batsman Tharanga for three months - Jun 24, 2011
- Five fresh doping cases in athletics, IOA orders probe (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- London 2012 anti-doping laboratory receives seal of approval - Apr 24, 2012
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011
- Butt believes Asif will be back in Pakistan squad soon - Jan 23, 2009
- Three athletes' B samples also test positive - Jul 08, 2011
- India's athletes Mandeep, Juana fail dope tests, suspended (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Another Pakistani athlete banned after testing positive for steroids - Sep 21, 2010
- Pakistan cricketers line up for dope tests - Jul 20, 2008
- Shoaib Akhtar on ICC's dope testing scanner - Apr 10, 2009
- PCB assures Asif of fair trial under its anti-doping regulations - Jan 21, 2009
- Crackdown on chemist shops near NIS, Patiala - Jul 06, 2011
Tags: champions trophy, dope test, dope tests, embarrassment, history of pakistan, inaugural season, mohammad, nation tournament, national women, negative publicity, pakistan cricket board, pakistani women, premier league, shoaib akhtar, steroid nandrolone, tri nation, urine samples, wada, world anti doping agency, world cup