Pakistan will raise winning team for World Cup: AfridiDecember 13th, 2010 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
By Omar Khalid
Karachi, Dec 13 (IANS) Pakistan cricket captain Shahid Afridi feels that his team will transform itself into a winning outfit in the lead up to the World Cup that starts in February 2011.”The World Cup is an all-important event for all of us which is why we are taking all possible steps to put the team back on track,” said Afridi, the experienced allrounder who will be leading Pakistan in World Cup 2011 which kicks off in Bangladesh on February 19.
“The boys are working hard in the camp in Lahore and I’m sure that they would be in much better shape when we leave for New Zealand for a full series,” he added.
Pakistan will leave for New Zealand on December 17 to play three Twenty20 Internationals, two Tests and six One-day Internationals. The tour will conclude just days before the start of the World Cup.
Afridi is confident that Pakistan will conclude its World Cup preparations in New Zealand on a positive note.
“New Zealand will prove us with a great opportunity to get fully ready for the World Cup,” said Afridi. “We are more or less sure about our World Cup combination and the one-day series in New Zealand will help us take a final decision on it.”
Afridi said that Pakistan’s Achilles heal has been its below-par fielding but is hopeful that his troops will do better in this area of the game in New Zealand and in the World Cup.
“Fielding has let us down many a times in the recent past but I’m confident that it is going to be much better now because we have worked really hard to improve it in the last few weeks.”
- Pakistan aims for 'maximum' victories before cricket World Cup - Oct 12, 2010
- Pakistan can improve World Cup chances, says Afridi - Oct 19, 2010
- Afridi backs 'cohesive and contributing' Pak squad to bag World Cup glory - Feb 09, 2011
- Win in New Zealand will boost our confidence for World Cup: Afridi - Jan 18, 2011
- Afridi hoping to revive Pak cricket by clinching one-day series against S. Africa - Oct 19, 2010
- 'Competitor' Misbah says Afridi "doing good job" as Pak ODI skipper - Feb 02, 2011
- Spot-fixing scandal won't have any impact on Pak's World Cup performance: Misbah - Feb 12, 2011
- Afridi hints at including an extra spinner in Pakistan team - Feb 14, 2011
- Akmal brothers to play in Pak-Zimbabwe match - Mar 14, 2011
- Afridi to captain at World Cup - Feb 04, 2011
- Contenders Afridi, Misbah have "no issues" over Pak captaincy for World Cup 2011 - Feb 03, 2011
- Sarfraz Nawaz appreciates Pak's 'morale-boosting' win against New Zealand - Jan 30, 2011
- Afridi in Pakistan to discuss World Cup probables - Jan 02, 2011
- Pak can beat any team in WC following impressive win against Aussies: Afridi - Mar 21, 2011
- Zardari, Gilani felicitate Pak cricket team for series victory against New Zealand - Feb 04, 2011
Tags: achilles, allrounder, bangladesh, cricket captain, december 17, final decision, important event, karachi, lahore, new zealand, omar khalid, pakistan cricket, play three, ready for the world, shahid afridi, shape, twenty20, winning team, world cup 2011, world cup preparations