Pakistan to resist shifting of Davis Cup tie to ManilaMarch 13th, 2009 - 6:03 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Mar 13 (ANI): Pakistan has vowed to resist any attempt to shift their Davis Cup tennis home tie against Philippines to a neutral venue or Manila over security concerns.
The Philippine Lawn Tennis Association reportedly made the request in a letter to the International Tennis Federation (ITF) citing the March 3 militant attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team, as reason for shifting the venue.
Philippines is scheduled to play Pakistan in Asia Oceania Group II on July 10-12 in Lahore, The News reported.
Pakistan Tennis Federation president Dilawar Abbas said any attempt to shift the tie would be refused.
We are writing a letter to ITF in which we would demand that the tie should be played in Lahore, Pakistan because the venue would also have accommodation for the players and there would be no risks involved, Abbas told a foreign news agency.
Cricket and tennis has lots of difference, the spectators are in hundreds as compared to thousands in cricket, and since its an indoor sport security would be easier and complete, Abbas added.
An international squash event, due to be staged next month in Pakistan, was cancelled while New Zealand hinted it would not send its cricket team to Pakistan for the November-December series this year.
Last month Pakistan was forced to relocate their home Davis Cup tie against Oman to Muscat after their rivals raised security concerns. (ANI)
- Pakistan to demand compensation from ITF - Mar 16, 2010
- ITF rejects Pakistan's plea for neutral Davis Cup venue - Mar 28, 2009
- ITF shifts Davis Cup from Pakistan to Hong Kong over security concerns - Dec 23, 2010
- Now, Pak's Davis Cup tie against Hong Kong shifted from Lahore over security fears - Dec 12, 2009
- Pakistan questions Philippines' security after Davis Cup switch - Mar 18, 2009
- Pakistan again loses the right to host Davis Cup tie - Dec 11, 2009
- Lebanon agrees to play Davis Cup tie in Pakistan - Sep 24, 2011
- ITF refuses Davis Cup tie in Pakistan - Dec 22, 2010
- Fate of Pakistan Davis Cup tie to be decided later this month - Mar 20, 2009
- Pak opposes New Zealand's request to shift Davis cup matches to neutral venues - Mar 09, 2010
- Tennis New Zealand urges ITF to move Davis Cup tie out of Pakistan - Mar 09, 2010
- 'Pakistan tennis suffering because of cricket board' - Jul 23, 2010
- Philippines wants Davis Cup tie to be moved to Manila from Pakistan - Mar 13, 2009
- Davis Cup tie shifted from Pakistan due to security - Dec 15, 2008
- Australia mulling boycott of Davis Cup tie - Apr 18, 2009
Tags: abbas, asia oceania, davis cup, davis cup tennis, davis cup tie, dilawar, federation president, foreign news, home tie, indoor sport, international squash, international tennis federation, islamabad, lahore pakistan, lawn tennis association, neutral venue, spectators, sri lankan cricket, sri lankan cricket team, writing a letter