Pakistan to miss world junior squash after players refused visaJuly 12th, 2011 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, July 12 (IANS) Former champions Pakistan will not feature in the 2011 World Men’s Junior Squash Championships getting underway in Belgium Wednesday after the Belgian embassy in Islamabad refused to grant visas to their players.
Due to the visa setback, Pakistan was forced to withdraw from the event that will take place at the Flemish Squash Center in Herentals July 13-17.
“Our visa applications were rejected by the Belgian officials,” one of the Pakistan team players was quoted as saying by The News Tuesday. “I am really heartbroken,” said the youngster.
No official from the Pakistan Squash Federation (PSF) was available to comment on the latest setback to have hit the sport in the country.
It is a huge blow for the Pakistanis, who were looking to regain their lost glory in the event that will feature top junior squash players from around the globe.
Pakistan was hoping to win the title in Belgium, something which head coach Jansher Khan believed would put the country’s squash back on track.
Led by reigning world junior champion Amr Khalid Khalifa, Egypt will be the team to beat in the championships. The Egyptians are now expected to get a cakewalk to the title in the absence of Pakistan. The Pakistanis would have provided the two 3/4 seeds had they been playing in the event. Danish Atlas Khan and Nasir Iqbal, both 17-year-olds from Peshawar, were supposed to lead Pakistan’s title campaign in the mega event.
- World squash body probing Pakistan's visa fiasco - Jul 22, 2011
- Pakistan rope in legend Jansher Khan for squash revival - Dec 22, 2010
- Pakistan expected to struggle in Asian Squash - Apr 28, 2012
- Tandon, Mangaonkar in last eight of world junior squash - Jul 15, 2011
- Legend Jahangir declines Pakistan squash federation offer - Dec 10, 2010
- World Junior Squash can thaw Indo-Pak sporting ties - Jul 20, 2009
- Aamir hailed as new star of Pakistan squash - Nov 22, 2009
- India's Mahesh, Anaka second in world junior squash - Jan 11, 2012
- Pakistan pin hopes of 'squash revival' on Peshawar teenager - Jul 11, 2008
- Big field for Indian Junior Open squash - Sep 05, 2011
- India boys beat Pakistan, grab maiden Asian Junior Squash - Jan 30, 2011
- Anaka, Kush top seeds - Aug 26, 2012
- Pak team awaits clearance for Asian squash in Chennai - Dec 12, 2008
- World Squash: Pallikal favourite for women's crown - Jul 28, 2009
- World squash event cancelled due to Pakistan floods - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: amr khalid, belgian embassy, belgian officials, egyptians, head coach, herentals, jansher khan, junior squash players, khalifa, latest setback, miss world, nasir, pakistan team, pakistanis, psf, squash championships, squash federation, visa applications, world junior champion, world men