Pakistan recalls senior players in hockey teamJune 30th, 2010 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, June 30 (IANS) Pakistan Wednesday recalled almost all of its previously discarded senior players in the national hockey team in a bid to bolster the team ahead of the year’s two major events - the Commonwealth Games in India and the Asian Games in China.
However, there was no place for Pakistan’s drag flick ace Sohail Abbas, who decided against turning up for a training camp and national trials and was subsequently ignored by national selectors.
Seasoned defender Zeeshan Ashraf, who led Pakistan to a catastrophic last-place finish in the World Cup in Delhi earlier this year, was recalled as the team’s captain. Also back in the 18-man squad are several other senior players including goalie Salman Akbar, midfielder Waseem Ahmed and strikers Rehan Butt and Shakeel Abbasi.
Pakistan dropped these senior players for the Azlan Shah Cup in Malaysia earlier this year prompting reports that they do not feature in the team management’s plans for the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games. The team has been selected for a training tour of Europe scheduled next month.
Pakistan squad: Salman Akber, Imran Shah, Zeeshan Ashraf, Mohammad Imran, Amir Shahzad, Mohammad Irfan, Waseem Ahmed, Mohammad Rashid, Fareed Ahmed, Mohammad Tauseeq, Kashif Javed, Rehan Butt, Shakeel Abbasi, Haseem Khan, Shafqat Rasool, M Rizwan, Waqas Sharif, Umar Bhutta.
- Pakistan determined to win Azlan Shah Cup, says Imran - May 01, 2011
- Pakistan drop seniors for Asian Champions Trophy hockey - Aug 19, 2011
- Pakistan recall rebel hockey players for Euro tour - Jun 08, 2012
- Seven top players excluded from Pak hockey squad for Azlan Shah Cup - Apr 29, 2010
- Zeeshan to lead Pakistan men's hockey team in CWG - Sep 28, 2010
- 'Sohail, Akbar will boost Pakistan's chances in Asian Games hockey' - Nov 03, 2010
- Pakistan omit skipper Imran and Waseem from Olympic hockey probables - Feb 18, 2012
- Pak recall 'disgraced' senior hockey players for Europe tour - Jul 01, 2010
- Shakeel Abbasi to lead Pakistan hockey team, Sohail Abbas back - Oct 11, 2011
- Senior Pakistan hockey players to be replaced after Asian Games - Oct 27, 2010
- Central contracts for Pakistan hockey players - Feb 18, 2012
- Abbas overlooked for Pakistan's CWG and Asian Games squads - Jul 29, 2010
- Pakistan announce hockey World Cup squad - Feb 06, 2010
- Pak hockey to dump experience for youth after Asian Games with eye on Olympics - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistan hockey squad steps down after World Cup debacle - Mar 11, 2010
Tags: abbasi, akber, asian games, azlan shah cup, commonwealth games, fareed, kashif, man squad, mohammad imran, mohammad rashid, national hockey team, national selectors, rasool, rizwan, shafqat, shahzad, shakeel, sohail abbas, tour of europe, waqas