Pakistan recall rebel hockey players for Euro tourJune 8th, 2012 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 8 (IANS) The Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) Friday recalled rebel senior players Shakeel Abbasi and Wasim Ahmad into the 18-member squad for the upcoming European tour scheduled to start next week.
Abbasi and Ahmad were among the eight players who were fined heavily by the PHF for taking part in the rebel World Series Hockey (WSH) in India earlier this year. Their fines were, however, reduced after they appealed to PHF president Qasim Zia.
Abbassi and Rehan Butt, who were earlier fined $10,100 each, had to shell out $1,070 while Ahmad, Zeeshan Ashraf, Imran Warsi, Adnan Maqsood, Tariq Aziz and Mudassar Ali Khan’s penalty was reduced from $2,700 to $530.
Earlier, it was feared that the PHF might ban all these players for at least two years, but the federation had to change its mind after national team’s poor performance in the Sultan Azlan Shah hockey tournament in Malaysia.
The team’s debacle in Malaysia also prompted the selectors to recall former captain Mohammed Imran, who has gained fitness and form after being overlooked for poor performance.
The upcoming European tour would be the last attempt by Pakistan to get prepared for the Olympics
The PHF high officials Thursday finalised the squad for the tour after having a meeting with the selection committee and management of the team.
The training camp of the reserve players was also started with the objective to keep the players in proper shape to find replacements for the team, if needed, for Olympics after the tour of Europe.
The Pakistani team that has been preparing for the London Olympics had a torrid time during the Azlan Shah Cup in Malaysia where it could win only its first match against Argentina 4-2 but was beaten in the remaining five successive matches — by New Zealand (1-3), South Korea (0-4), Malaysia (2-3), India (1-2) and Britain (1-2).
The Pakistani team will leave for a European tour Saturday and play matches in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands next week.
Squad: Imran Shah, M Irfan, Syed Kashif Shah, M Khalid, M Imran, Sohail Abbas, Farid Ahmad, Rashid Mahmood, M Rizwan Jr, M Tauseeq, Wasim Ahmed, M Waqas, Sahfqat Rasool, M Umer Bhutta, Shakeel Abbasi, Abdul Haseem Khan, Rizwan Sr, and Ali Shah.
- Pakistan determined to win Azlan Shah Cup, says Imran - May 01, 2011
- pakistan fines rebel hockey players, spares them ban - May 31, 2012
- Shakeel Abbasi to lead Pakistan hockey team, Sohail Abbas back - Oct 11, 2011
- Pakistan drop seniors for Asian Champions Trophy hockey - Aug 19, 2011
- Veteran Zeeshan Ashraf left out of Pakistan hockey squad - May 21, 2011
- Pakistan's former Olympians protest against hockey federation - Jun 12, 2012
- Pak hockey players get show-cause notice over WSH contracts - Apr 25, 2011
- Zeeshan to lead Pakistan men's hockey team in CWG - Sep 28, 2010
- Pak hockey coach confident of good show in World Cup - Jan 17, 2010
- Pakistan orders probe into hockey team's poor performance - Jun 06, 2012
- Pakistan recalls senior players in hockey team - Jun 30, 2010
- 'Sohail, Akbar will boost Pakistan's chances in Asian Games hockey' - Nov 03, 2010
- PHF issues show cause notices to three key players - Apr 24, 2011
- Pakistan axe top hockey stars for Azlan Shah Cup - Apr 28, 2010
- Pakistan omit skipper Imran and Waseem from Olympic hockey probables - Feb 18, 2012
Tags: abbasi, ali khan, azlan shah cup, azlan shah hockey, azlan shah hockey tournament, hockey federation, london olympics, maqsood, member squad, phf, proper shape, rehan, sultan azlan shah, sultan azlan shah hockey, sultan azlan shah hockey tournament, tariq aziz, torrid time, warsi, wasim ahmad, zeeshan