Pakistan players excited about playing in WSHFebruary 29th, 2012 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 29 (IANS) Pakistan hockey stars including Rehan Butt arrived in India Wednesday and are looking forward to playing in the World Series Hockey (WSH).
Former Pakistan skipper Zeeshan Ashraf and midfielder Adnan Maqsood, who are part of the Karnataka Lions franchise, crossed over from the historic Wagah border, and star forward Rehan Butt, striker Shakeel Abbassi and Waseem Ahmed flew into Delhi from Lahore, while Sher-E-Punjab forward Tariq Aziz joined his team-mates in Jalandhar.
Zeeshan Ashraf said: “WSH is the first of its kind league to be held in the history of hockey and we are thrilled to be participating in the tournament. It is fantastic that hockey can provide a great platform for forging friendship between India and Pakistan. I hope our cricketers will also get to play together in the IPL. Yeh silsila chalta rahna chahiye.”
Adnam Maqsood added the league would him as a player and was excited about playing along side India’s Dhanraj Pillay, who is making a comeback to the sport.
“WSH is a great platform to boost hockey in India and it will also help Pakistani players since all the top coaches and players are playing here. I am confident about giving my best to my team, Karnataka Lions, and it will be fantastic to play with the legendary Dhanraj bhai. If we get time off from hockey, then I would like to visit the Golden Temple in Amritsar and the Taj Mahal in Agra.”
WSH is being held from Feb 29 to April 2 and will involve 200 leading players — Indian and international — who will showcase their talent in 59 matches.
The eight venues for the inaugural edition of the league are Bangalore, Bhopal, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Jalandhar, Mumbai and Pune. Chandigarh Comets take on Bhopal Badshahs in the tournament opener here.
- Pakistan's Shakeel Abbasi braves ban to play in WSH - Mar 02, 2012
- World Series Hockey to start Feb 29 - Jan 23, 2012
- pakistan fines rebel hockey players, spares them ban - May 31, 2012
- Pakistan recall rebel hockey players for Euro tour - Jun 08, 2012
- PHF warns hockey players to leave 'controversial league' WSH or face action - Apr 22, 2011
- Three former Pakistan captains sign-up with World Series of Hockey - Aug 17, 2011
- Pakistani hockey players could face action for ties with WSH - Apr 24, 2011
- Top Pakistan hockey players want to play in Indian league - Dec 29, 2010
- Stage set for pulsating semi-final between Strykers and Comets - Mar 31, 2012
- Bringing Indian hockey back to 'consumer radar' - Nov 14, 2011
- Virtually entire hockey squad in WSH list - Nov 17, 2011
- Nine venues selected for World Series Hockey - Nov 12, 2011
- World Series Hockey postponed to Feb 29 - Dec 12, 2011
- Pakistan determined to win Azlan Shah Cup, says Imran - May 01, 2011
- Karan stars in Bhopal Badshahs win in WSH - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: adnan, ashraf, bhai, chandigarh, dhanraj pillay, feb 29, golden temple in amritsar, history of hockey, hockey stars, inaugural edition, india and pakistan, ipl, maqsood, pakistan players, rahna, shakeel, silsila, team mates, wagah border, waseem