Pakistan planning tournament on lines of Indian Premier League: PCB officialApril 12th, 2011 - 5:39 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, April 12(ANI): The Pakistan Cricket Board has been pushing the idea of a Pakistani tournament on the lines of the Indian Premier League, PCB’s domestic cricket department chief Sultan Rana has said.
Rana stated that the setting up of the Pakistani Premier League had been in their plans for the past couple of years.
“We first considered the idea a couple of years ago. The documents were complete and we were all set to go, but the attack on the Sri Lankan team meant that we had to shelve all of our plans at that time,” PakPassion.net quoted the PCB official, as saying.
Although the plans, which were prepared two years ago, were subsequently put aside, Rana remained hopeful that the plans would be implemented soon. However, the tournament would most likely be organised outside Pakistan due to safety concerns.
“I recently went to Sri Lanka during the World Cup and spoke to the Cricket Board representatives of many other countries, but apart from Sri Lanka they are reluctant to send their players to Pakistan, so that presents a problem for us. We simply cannot host the tournament in Pakistan if we want to attract the top players,” said Rana.
Since the option of hosting the PPL in Pakistan is an unlikely eventuality as of now, the PCB is mulling over hosting the competition in Dubai.
“What we are trying to do is to organise a competition in Dubai. This idea was discussed in the past and has very much been in our plans and is still on the table,” Rana said.
“I’m sure we (PCB) can organise this tournament, which will run along the lines of the Indian Premier League,” he added. (ANI)
- Pakistan to face Sri Lanka and England in UAE - Jun 21, 2011
- Afridi to play in inaugural Sri Lanka Premier League - May 11, 2011
- Pakistan mooting China as neutral venue for cricket - Dec 03, 2010
- Pakistani cricketers will again be kept out of IPL - Dec 07, 2010
- Pakistan to add another Twenty20 event to domestic calendar - Apr 14, 2011
- SLC provides ICC with cricket corruption tapes - Aug 13, 2012
- Pakistan's Rana Naved denies BPL match-fixing - Mar 06, 2012
- Sri Lanka cricket board assures integrity of SLPL - Jul 21, 2012
- Pakistan names cricket squad for T20 World Cup - Jul 18, 2012
- Sri Lanka seeks foreign players for T20 League - May 09, 2012
- Sri Lankan cricketers want contract issue settled early - Jul 17, 2012
- Sri Lanka refuse to tour Pakistan - May 24, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricket officials rush to meet BCCI - Jun 21, 2011
- Pakistani cricket squad departs for Asia Cup in Bangladesh - Mar 08, 2012
- PCB may stop Afridi from playing in SLPL - Jun 23, 2011
Tags: board representatives, cricket department, department chief, domestic cricket, eventuality, pakistan cricket board, pcb, ppl, premier league, rana, safety concerns, sri lanka, sri lankan team, sultan, world cup