Pakistan never respected their cricket stars: AkramApril 5th, 2010 - 12:15 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Apr 5(ANI): Former Pakistan skipper Wasim Akram insists that Pakistan never respected its cricket stars, and reiterated the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) was wrong to slap indefinite bans on cricketers.
Akram’s comment comes after the PCB effectively banned former captains Mohammad Yousuf and Younis Khan from playing international cricket for an indefinite period on March 10, following an inquiry into the crushing whitewash on the tour of Australia.
Yousuf and Younis had been accused by the PCB of “infighting”, and their “attitude” had been deemed as a “bad influence” on the team.
“I can imagine the dilemma two former Pakistan captains (Yousuf and Younus) are going through at this moment. It’s a pity the way Pakistan have treated their best players. Just like Yousuf, Pakistan have not respected many former stars. Whether it was me, Javedbhai (Miandad) or Waqar Younus, one fine day we were made to vanish from the face of the earth! There are numerous other instances too,” Akram wrote in an article for the Daily Times.
“I am not sure if this is the way to treat players who have served you with excellence for over two decades. At least, they deserve a testimonial game, a warm send-off and a moment that will stay forever in their hearts. I am sure Pakistan’s cricket fans will love to give their heroes one final standing ovation. Yousuf deserved one,” he added.
Akram further believes that Yousuf’s decision to retire from international cricket has “saddened” him, and it will hurt Pakistan Test cricket.
“Governance has never been PCB’s strong point for various reasons. You can’t replace a man with 24 Test centuries and 7000 plus runs,” Akram said. (ANI)
- "Street fighter" Miandad's charge as batting consultant big boost to Pak team: Akram - Nov 30, 2010
- Pak National Assembly committee chairman slams PCB policies - Jun 01, 2010
- Yousuf-Younus unlikely to be recalled for England Test series - Jul 26, 2010
- PCB must look beyond Miandad for Pak batting coach: Waqar - Apr 14, 2011
- Ex Pak greats horrified over PCB's 'vindictive' stance that led to Younis' 'retirement' - Mar 31, 2010
- Younis Khan challenges Pakistan board's ban - Mar 25, 2010
- No intention of playing for Pakistan: Yousuf - May 12, 2010
- Miandad opts out of NZ tour to avoid confusion - Dec 10, 2010
- Miandad declines to be batting consultant for Pakistan team - Dec 01, 2010
- Afridi backs PCB punishments as "a step in the right direction" - Apr 12, 2010
- Wasim Akram lashes out at Shahid Afridi - Sep 23, 2011
- Akram criticises selectors for ignoring Younis for England tour - Jun 27, 2010
- Team spirit a top priority for Younis - Mar 29, 2010
- PCB chief rules out recalling Younus, Yousuf - Jul 07, 2010
- Miandad refuses Afridi's request to join Pak team to New Zealand - Dec 13, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,