Pakistan name Shahid Ali Khan as new hockey coachFebruary 13th, 2009 - 5:40 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Feb 13 (IANS) Pakistan Friday appointed Olympian Shahid Ali Khan as the new head coach of the national hockey team, assigning him to prepare a strong team for the Asia Cup in May in Dubai.
The decision to appoint Shahid was taken during the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) executive board meeting in Lahore.
A senior PHF official told IANS that Shahid was installed as the coach after another Olympian Ayaz Mahmood failed to join national duty after his employers - Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) didn’t release him. Ayaz, who is currently posted as PIA’s Station Manager in Moscow, was appointed as Pakistan coach last October.
Shahid, 44, is one of Pakistan’s most celebrated goal-keepers and played important roles in its title-winning triumphs in the 1982 World Cup in Mumbai and the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles. He also has two Asian Games and three Asia Cup gold medals under his belt.
“I will try my best to help Pakistan regain its lost glory in hockey,” Shahid told IANS in an interview soon after being picked to supervise Pakistan’s training for the Asia Cup.
Shahid said that he and fellow coaches will leave no stone unturned in their bid to raise a team good enough to win the Asia Cup.
“We have to win the Asia Cup because that would earn us a direct entry in the 2010 World Cup in India,” he said. “We cannot take the risk of playing in the World Cup qualifying rounds,” he stressed.
Only the Asia Cup winning team will earn a direct World Cup slot from Asia. Other teams will have to feature in the qualifiers to be held in November.
- Pakistan's former Olympians protest against hockey federation - Jun 12, 2012
- Pakistan Hockey Federation appoints Shahid Ali Khan as coach - Feb 13, 2009
- Pakistani hockey legends lament loss to India - Oct 12, 2010
- Pakistan drop seniors for Asian Champions Trophy hockey - Aug 19, 2011
- Pakistan appoint Khwaja Junaid as hockey coach - Apr 16, 2010
- Veteran Zeeshan Ashraf left out of Pakistan hockey squad - May 21, 2011
- Pakistan hockey eyeing a podium finish in London Olympics - Jan 25, 2011
- Hanif named new Pakistan hockey chief selector - Mar 29, 2010
- 'Sohail, Akbar will boost Pakistan's chances in Asian Games hockey' - Nov 03, 2010
- Abbottabad fast becoming no-go area for sports - May 21, 2011
- Pak hockey coach worried about acclimatisation - Oct 20, 2009
- Pakistan hockey squad quits, officials sacked after World Cup debacle (Lead) - Mar 12, 2010
- Pakistan hockey invests in technology to improve players' fitness - Jul 06, 2011
- Pakistan announce 30 probables for Champions Trophy - Sep 26, 2011
- Pakistan confident of resuming international hockey during 2011 - Apr 27, 2011
Tags: 1984 olympic games, ali khan, asia cup, asian games, ayaz, board meeting, goal keepers, gold medals, head coach, hockey coach, hockey federation, mumbai, national hockey team, olympic games, pakistan international airlines, phf, pia, triumphs, winning team, world cup