Pakistan may field rookie quick Aamir to ruffle England’s feathers in T20 openerJune 6th, 2009 - 2:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jun.6 (ANI): Pakistan is mulling fielding rookie fast bowler Mohammad Aamir in their first match of ICC World Twenty20 Championship against hosts England at The Oval on Sunday.
Team officials said it is almost certain that the 17 year old pacer would make his way into the final playing eleven, as Pakistan is looking to strengthen its bowling attack that has failed in the two practice matches.
Pakistan had lost both of its practice games against South Africa and India by huge margins.
Coach Intikhab Alam has also expressed satisfaction over Aamir’s performance in the practice matches.
“Aamir is a fantastic new talent and we have great hopes in him. He is a serious contender to play in the opening game against England,” The News quoted Alam, as saying.
He said Aamir’s ability to swing the ball, and conducive conditions for his style of bowling, could help him trouble even top class batsmen.
“If you look at the pace bowlers featurig in this tournament you would see that not many of them are using swing as a weapon. Most of them are more interested in speed.That is why somebody like Aamer, who is an unknown talent could be really effective with his knack for bowling swinging deliveries that can really upset the batsmen,” Alam said.
Former captain Wasim Akram also expressed confidence in Aamir, saying he is destined for international glory.
Aamir said he was overwhelmed to hear such words of praise from his favourite player (Akram), and added he would not disappointment his hero if given a chance.
“It feels great to hear such encouraging words from Wasim Bhai, who is my favourite cricketer.I’m really all pumped up and if I get to play my target will be not to disappoint Waseem bhai,” he said. (ANI)
- Akram blames India bowlers for pathetic performance - Aug 14, 2011
- Replace Harbhajan with Mishra: Akram - Jul 27, 2011
- Fanie de Villiers offers help to struggling Mitchell Johnson - Nov 20, 2011
- India will have to bowl a lot better to win ODI series: Akram - Aug 29, 2011
- Yousuf's return to ODI squad would boost Pak's chances: Akram - Aug 27, 2010
- Pakistan appoints new bowling coach - Aug 25, 2012
- Dravid's recall exposes India's brittle batting order: Akram - Aug 07, 2011
- Akram says youngsters not to blame for failure in 'testing' English conditions - Jul 16, 2010
- Akram offers to help Pak pacers Junaid, Wahab during World Cup 2011 - Feb 24, 2011
- Jadeja putting pressure on Pathan: Akram - Oct 22, 2011
- Akram lauds decision to include Pathan in Indian team - Jul 21, 2012
- Akram backs Shoaib to play against India - Mar 26, 2011
- Akram backs India, Pakistan as joint favourites for ICC T20 title - Apr 29, 2010
- Umar Gul will have to spearhead Pak's bowling attack in World Cup 2011: Akram - Feb 11, 2011
- McDermott hailed for turning around Australian pace attack - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: aamer, aamir, bhai, conducive conditions, contender, deliveries, disappointment, encouraging words, feathers, icc world twenty20, international glory, intikhab alam, knack, margins, mohammad, pacer, practice games, target, team officials, words of praise