Pakistan leave for UAE to play against Sri LankaOctober 15th, 2011 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Oct 15 (IANS) The Pakistani cricket team departed for the United Arab Emirates (UAE) Saturday to play a bilateral series against Sri Lanka, starting with the first Test Tuesday.
The Pakistani squad led by skipper Misbah-ul-Haq flew to the UAE from the Allama Iqbal International Airport in the country’s eastern city of Lahore, Xinhua reported.
Team captain Haq said that the current team is balanced with the combination of junior and senior players, and it will try its best to give positive results in the series played at a neutral venue.
“Boys (players) have worked on different areas to improve as tough matches are expected against Sri Lanka,” Haq added.
On the occasion Pakistan’s interim coach Mohsin Khan stressed the need for the Pakistani players to focus on being mentally tough during the series.
“We have talented players who have good records, and I hope that they would show their improvement in the game,” said Khan.
Pakistan and Sri Lankan teams are scheduled to play five One-Day Internationals, three Tests and one Twenty20 International at the Sheikh Zayed International Cricket Stadium in Abu Dhabi.
Sri Lanka led by batsman Tillakaratne Dilshan have already reached the UAE.
These matches were scheduled to be played in Pakistan but Sri Lanka refused to send their team for security reasons. The Sri Lankan cricket team bus was ambushed by unidentified gunmen March 3, 2009, in Lahore on its way to stadium. Eight Pakistanis, including six policemen, were killed and six Sri Lankan players and two officials were injured.
The grave incident meant international sports activities were stopped in the country as other nations refused to send their teams.
- Whatmore to coach Pakistan's cricket team - Mar 03, 2012
- Pakistan start training for Sri Lanka series - Oct 12, 2011
- Pakistan team training at Lahore for England series - Jan 06, 2012
- Mohsin says he can get along with skipper Misbah - Oct 06, 2011
- Pakistan cricketers starts preparations for upcoming Sri Lanka tour - May 17, 2012
- I will instill self-belief in Pakistan team: Coach Mohsin - Oct 04, 2011
- Pakistan to face Sri Lanka and England in UAE - Jun 21, 2011
- Pakistani cricket squad departs for Asia Cup in Bangladesh - Mar 08, 2012
- Pakistan hopes to lure cricket teams with foolproof security - Dec 10, 2011
- Pakistan drop Riaz over spot-fixing links - Nov 21, 2011
- Mohsin lauds Pak team for impressive show in ongoing Windies tour - Apr 28, 2011
- Conditions in UAE will favour Pakistan: Misbah - Jan 08, 2012
- Pakistan tour: Bangladesh Cricket Board satisfied with security - Mar 05, 2012
- Pakistan justified 'unpredictable side' tag by losing T20 against Windies: Qadir - Apr 23, 2011
- Sri Lanka to end Pakistan's cricketing isolation with October series in country - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: allama iqbal international airport, cricket stadium, current team, dilshan, haq, interim coach, international cricket, international sports, mohsin khan, pakistani cricket, play five, sheikh zayed, sports activities, sri lankan cricket, sri lankan cricket team, talented players, team bus, unidentified gunmen, united arab emirates, xinhua