Pakistan, India hockey officials to meet in Kuala LumpurDecember 15th, 2008 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Dec 15 (IANS) Pakistan will take a decision on whether to tour India for a double-leg tournament in Chandigarh and Jalandhar after meeting with Indian hockey officials on the sidelines of the Asian Hockey Federation (AHF) Congress in Kuala Lumpur later this week.Asif Bajwa, the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) secretary, told IANS Monday that he will be meeting Aslam Khan, the chief of Indian Hockey Federation’s ad-hoc committee in Kuala Lumpur ahead of the AHF Congress to be held Dec 20.
Bajwa, a former Olympian who will be leaving for Kuala Lumpur Tuesday, said that Pakistan will only take a final decision on whether to play in the four-nation tournament in India after carefully studying the situation.
“We want to play in the tournament but will see whether the situation is okay to visit India,” he said.
Last month, Pakistan had confirmed its participation in the four-nation double header to be played in Chandigarh and Jalandhar next February. World and Olympic champions Germany, Holland and host India are the other teams featuring in the event.
However, the PHF later said it will reconsider the decision to send its team to India because of the strained relations between the two countries in the wake of last month’s Mumbai’s terror attacks.
Bajwa said his team is aiming to regain the Asia Cup next summer in Dubai and needs top quality matches to prepare itself. “It’s very important that we play against top teams like Germany and Holland,” said Bajwa, also a former Pakistan coach.
- Pakistan keen on reviving hockey series with India - Oct 28, 2010
- Bajwa hopeful of Pakistan's good showing in Champions Trophy - Nov 17, 2011
- Pakistan hockey board awaits government nod for India event - Dec 27, 2008
- No green signal for Indian hockey team's tour to Pakistan - Apr 04, 2012
- Pakistan drop seniors for Asian Champions Trophy hockey - Aug 19, 2011
- Pakistan delegation to visit India for hockey revival - Aug 28, 2012
- Pak hockey players get show-cause notice over WSH contracts - Apr 25, 2011
- PHF warns players to stay away from World Series Hockey - Nov 15, 2011
- India-Pakistan federations agree to resume hockey series - Mar 11, 2010
- PHF issues show cause notices to three key players - Apr 24, 2011
- Pakistan confident of resuming international hockey during 2011 - Apr 27, 2011
- Michel has not refused to coach Pak hockey team despite security concerns: Asif Bajwa - Jan 20, 2011
- Heuvel returns to Pak to coach hockey team till 2012 Olympics after contract revision - Feb 04, 2011
- Decision over visits to India Friday: Pakistan sports minister - Dec 30, 2008
- Pakistan hockey invests in technology to improve players' fitness - Jul 06, 2011