Pakistan hockey team completes Olympic training at AbbottabadJuly 9th, 2012 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 9 (IANS) Pakistan’s 18-member hockey team has completed its 10-day training camp for the upcoming London Olympics in the northwestern city of Abbottabad, an official said Monday.
The Green-shirts (Pakistani team), after concluding their preparations at home, are now ready to leave for Britain Thursday where they will be engaged in another 10-day training camp at Birmingham.
Pakistan coach and manager Akhtar Rasool Monday told local media the team worked on every aspect of the game during the training sessions and all the players were fit and with high morale.
According to Rasool, Players’ fitness was the main focus during the training camp while the coaches also worked hard to improve penalty-corner conversion, defence and midfield.
The coaching staff also used video analysis for the team’s opponents at Olympics and told players about the possible game plans against them.
“We did everything to improve the players’ game besides focusing on our opponents’ previous performances and moves during the matches,” said Rasool.
During the 10-day camp at Birmingham, the players will have enough time to adjust to the conditions where Olympics will be held.
Pakistani team is likely to play two warm-up matches against Germany and Holland after the Birmingham camp.
July 1, the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) announced its 20-member Olympic probable squad which was later trimmed to 18.
Besides retaining penalty corner specialist Sohail Abbas as captain of the team, the PHF selectors had also called back senior players Rehan Butt, Shakeel Abbasi, Mohammad Imran and Waseem Ahmed.
Pakistan have been struggling to get back its lost glory in the Olympics where it had won three gold, three silver and two bronze medals.
- Pakistan hockey team leaves for Olympics - Jul 13, 2012
- Veteran Zeeshan Ashraf left out of Pakistan hockey squad - May 21, 2011
- Shakeel Abbasi to lead Pakistan hockey team, Sohail Abbas back - Oct 11, 2011
- Pakistan recall rebel hockey players for Euro tour - Jun 08, 2012
- Pakistan omit skipper Imran and Waseem from Olympic hockey probables - Feb 18, 2012
- Pakistan drop seniors for Asian Champions Trophy hockey - Aug 19, 2011
- Abbottabad fast becoming no-go area for sports - May 21, 2011
- pakistan fines rebel hockey players, spares them ban - May 31, 2012
- Pakistan's Shakeel Abbasi braves ban to play in WSH - Mar 02, 2012
- 'PHF negating 2012 Olympics vision by selecting senior players for Azlan Shah Cup' - Apr 30, 2011
- Pakistan determined to win Azlan Shah Cup, says Imran - May 01, 2011
- 'Sohail, Akbar will boost Pakistan's chances in Asian Games hockey' - Nov 03, 2010
- Pakistani daily rues country's Olympic woes - Apr 02, 2012
- Olympics hockey: India-Pakistan can regain lost glory in London - Jul 29, 2012
- Pakistan recalls senior players in hockey team - Jun 30, 2010
Tags: abbas, abbasi, abbottabad, bronze medals, hockey federation, hockey team, islamabad, local media, london olympics, mohammad imran, northwestern city, olympic training, phf, play two, players game, rasool, selectors, training camp, video analysis, waseem