Pakistan hockey board awaits government nod for India eventDecember 27th, 2008 - 8:17 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Dec 27 (IANS) Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) Saturday denied it has pulled out its team from a double-header in India, saying that it is still awaiting a word on the tour from the authorities.PHF secretary Asif Bajwa said that the federation is awaiting a reply from the Foreign Ministry on a request for a No Objection Certificate for the India tour.
Earlier this month, Pakistan had confirmed its participation in the double-leg hockey tournament to be played in Chandigarh and Jalandhar next February.
But after India’s decision to cancel its cricket team’s visit to Pakistan over last month’s terror attack in Mumbai, it became apparent that in a retaliatory move Pakistan will not send its hockey players to India.
Suresh Kalmadi, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) president, Friday ‘confirmed’ that Pakistan has pulled out of the double-header that will be featuring world and Olympic champions Germany, Holland and host India.
“Pakistan is not playing. We are in process of inviting another foreign team,” Kalmadi, who is also heading India’s ad-hoc hockey committee appointed by the IOA, was quoted as saying.
However, Bajwa said that the PHF has not sent any such message to India. “We have received no intimation from the authorities over the tour of India,” said the Olympian.
But well-placed sources said that it is highly unlikely that the government will clear the hockey team’s tour of India in the current circumstances.
Meanwhile, Pakistan’s squash officials have also lost all hopes of entering their team in the Asian Junior Squash Championships to be played in Chennai next month. Pakistan was supposed to defend both the team individual titles in the championships but the chances of the squash team getting a clearance to go to Chennai are almost zero.
- Pakistan delegation to visit India for hockey revival - Aug 28, 2012
- Indian hockey team likely to tour Pakistan at 2011 end: Asif Bajwa - Apr 09, 2011
- PHF warns players to stay away from World Series Hockey - Nov 15, 2011
- Pakistan hockey eyeing a podium finish in London Olympics - Jan 25, 2011
- Pakistan, India hockey officials to meet in Kuala Lumpur - Dec 15, 2008
- Pakistan confident of resuming international hockey during 2011 - Apr 27, 2011
- Pakistan's former Olympians protest against hockey federation - Jun 12, 2012
- Pakistan drop seniors for Asian Champions Trophy hockey - Aug 19, 2011
- Pakistani fans happy with hockey team despite loss to India - Sep 14, 2011
- Pakistan orders probe into hockey team's poor performance - Jun 06, 2012
- Pakistan recall rebel hockey players for Euro tour - Jun 08, 2012
- Michel has not refused to coach Pak hockey team despite security concerns: Asif Bajwa - Jan 20, 2011
- Pak keen for hockey series with India: PHF official - Apr 13, 2011
- Beleaguered Pak hockey team will "bounce back strongly": PHF Secretary - Nov 16, 2010
- Heuvel returns to Pak to coach hockey team till 2012 Olympics after contract revision - Feb 04, 2011