Pakistan cruise to 662-6 against Sri Lanka (Lunch Report)February 25th, 2009 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Feb 25 (IANS) Pakistan captain Younis Khan fell in his chase for a world record but enabled his team to get past Sri Lanka’s mammoth 644-7 declared in the first innings by lunch on the fifth day of their first Test here at the National Stadium Wednesday.
Pakistan were 596-6, 48 runs behind Sri Lanka’s first inning total, after Younis
departed for 313. Wicketkeeper-batsman Kamran Akmal (89 not out) and all-rounder Yasir Arafat (17 not out) guided Pakistan to 662-6 at lunch, giving the host team an 18-run lead.
At stumps Tuesday, Younis had indicated that he would try to break Brian Lara’s record of 400 in an innings against England at Antigua.
But his hopes were ended by a good length delivery from Dilhara Fernando that nipped in sharply from the off stump to clip the bails. Younis made 313 off 568 balls, adding just seven runs to his Tuesday’s total, hitting 27 fours and four sixes in his match-saving knock.
Akmal’s unbeaten 89 came off 137 balls with six fours and a six. Arafat’s sedate 17 came after facing 81 balls and included one boundary.
- Gul reduces Sri Lanka to 54-3 at tea - Feb 25, 2009
- Pakistan shine but Test ends in a draw - Feb 25, 2009
- Younis' triple ton takes Pakistan closer to draw (Lead) - Feb 24, 2009
- Younis double ton takes Test towards a draw (Tea report) - Feb 24, 2009
- Can't drop Akmal in middle of World Cup: Waqar - Mar 09, 2011
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- Asia Cup: Pakistan beat Sri Lanka with bonus point (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Afridi takes five, Pakistan crush Kenya by 205 runs - Feb 23, 2011
- Younis' ton guides Pakistan to 213/2 (Tea Report) - Feb 23, 2009
- Younis guides Pakistan to 358-4 at lunch - Feb 24, 2009
- Spinners put India on backfoot (Lunch Report) - Jul 28, 2010
- Pakistan beat Bangladesh to win Asia Cup - Mar 23, 2012
- Afridi takes four wickets, Pakistan beat Sri Lanka by 11 runs (Lead) - Feb 27, 2011
- Malinga dashes Pakistan hopes; Afridi century in vain - Jun 16, 2010
- Kohli stars in India's record ODI chase against Pakistan (Roundup) - Mar 18, 2012
Tags: arafat, balls, batsman, brian lara, chase, dilhara fernando, fifth day, first test, four sixes, host team, kamran, lunch report, match, pakistan captain, rounder, seven runs, six fours, stumps, world record, younis khan