Pakistan appoint Khwaja Junaid as hockey coachApril 16th, 2010 - 8:43 pm ICT by IANS
By Omar Khalid
Karachi, April 16 (IANS) Pakistan Friday named Olympian Khwaja Junaid as its hockey coach for next month’s Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in Ipoh (Malaysia) after failing to rope in a foreign coach because of security-related problems.
Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) president Qasim Zia announced after a meeting of the Executive Board in Lahore that Junaid has been appointed for an interim period for the tournament in Ipoh May 6-16.
Junaid, who replaces Shahid Ali Khan — the former coach who was sacked after Pakistan’s dismal last-place finish in the World Cup — has been serving as the national junior team coach. Under his command, Pakistan has won three of the four events it has featured on the international circuit since early last year.
Qasim, also an Olympian, said the PHF tried its best to hire a foreign coach but neither of the experts contacted by Pakistan was ready to come here because of security concerns.
The PHF president said he will continue making efforts to get best possible people to train the national team in the hope that the Greenshirts will do well in future international events like this year’s Commonwealth Games in New Delhi and the Asian Games in China.
- Can't bring Pak hockey team on winning track overnight: Junaid - Apr 19, 2010
- PHF appoints Junaid hockey coach as foreign coaches refuse to work in 'violent' Pak - Apr 17, 2010
- Security concerns keeping away foreign coaches: PHF - Apr 06, 2010
- German Lissek favourite to be Pakistan hockey coach - Mar 25, 2010
- 'Pakistan hockey on right track for London Olympics' - May 18, 2011
- Pak plans to avenge cricket WC semi-final loss by defeating India on hockey field - Apr 02, 2011
- Pakistan orders probe into hockey team's poor performance - Jun 06, 2012
- Pakistan recall rebel hockey players for Euro tour - Jun 08, 2012
- Abbottabad fast becoming no-go area for sports - May 21, 2011
- Veteran Zeeshan Ashraf left out of Pakistan hockey squad - May 21, 2011
- Pakistan drop seniors for Asian Champions Trophy hockey - Aug 19, 2011
- Hanif named new Pakistan hockey chief selector - Mar 29, 2010
- 'Sohail, Akbar will boost Pakistan's chances in Asian Games hockey' - Nov 03, 2010
- Pakistan hockey eyeing a podium finish in London Olympics - Jan 25, 2011
- 'Disappointed' Pak scrambles to arrange another hockey series after India postponement - Mar 16, 2011
Tags: ali khan, asian games, azlan shah cup, commonwealth games, former coach, hockey coach, hockey federation, interim period, ipoh malaysia, junaid, lahore, omar khalid, phf, qasim, security concerns, shahid ali, sultan azlan shah, sultan azlan shah cup, team coach, zia