Pakistan agrees to put off Bangladesh cricket tour (Lead, Changing dateline)March 5th, 2009 - 7:01 pm ICT by IANS
Lahore, March 5 (IANS) Pakistan Thursday gave its consent to Bangladesh’s decision to put off its home series against Pakistan following government advice about security concerns.
Ijaz Butt, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman, said here that the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) officials discussed the issue with the PCB before announcing that the one-day series which was to be played March 10-24 has been postponed.
“We told them (BCB) that we have no problems if the series is postponed as long as they will be able to find adequate dates for the matches,” Butt told reporters here at the Gaddafi Stadium.
Bangladesh’s decision came two days after several policemen were killed following an armed attack on the Sri Lanka team in Lahore. Pakistan had already announced a 16-man squad and were supposed to leave for Bangladesh March 7 to play two Twenty20 matches and five one-day internationals.
Butt said that Bangladesh decided to postpone the series after the International Cricket Council (ICC) asked it to beef up security for the matches.
“Bangladesh decided that there wasn’t enough time to take extra security measures. They have told us that a meeting is currently on (in Dhaka) in which the new dates are being worked out. We should receive the new itinerary in the next two hours.”
Meanwhile, Pakistan’s Younis Khan has welcomed the postponement of the series, saying that it will give his players more time to recover from the shock of Tuesday’s tragic incident.
- Pakistan likely to host Bangladesh full series next year - Dec 15, 2010
- Dhaka High Court postpones Bangladesh's cricket tour to Pakistan - Apr 19, 2012
- Bangladesh will tour Pakistan: ICC - Apr 15, 2012
- PCB still hopeful about Bangladesh series - Apr 25, 2012
- Pakistan hopes to lure cricket teams with foolproof security - Dec 10, 2011
- Pakistan out of sight, Bangladesh look to South Africa - Apr 23, 2012
- Younis returns to Pakistan team for South Africa series - Oct 20, 2010
- Pakistan sore at Bangladesh canceling cricket tour - Apr 20, 2012
- PCB likely to remove assistant coaches Aaqib Javed, Aijaz Ahmed - Sep 30, 2010
- Abbottabad removed as venue of Pakistan-Afghanistan cricket series - May 19, 2011
- Pakistan is safe place for cricket: PCB chairman - Apr 19, 2012
- Pakistan disappointed over Bangladesh's appeal against Asia Cup result - Mar 26, 2012
- PCB chief leaves for New Zealand to decide on WC captain - Jan 20, 2011
- Pakistan tour: Bangladesh Cricket Board satisfied with security - Mar 05, 2012
- Zardari appoints close friend as PCB chief,Butt shown the door - Oct 12, 2011
Tags: bangladesh cricket board, bcb, cricket tour, day internationals, dhaka, extra security, gaddafi stadium, government advice, international cricket council, lahore pakistan, man squad, pakistan cricket board, pakistan cricket board pcb, play two, policemen, postponement, security concerns, security measures, tragic incident, younis khan