Pak Sports Ministry clears cricketers to take part in IPL

January 31st, 2009 - 1:57 pm ICT by ANI  

Shoaib Akhtar

Islamabad, Jan.31 (ANI): The Pakistan government has no objection over its cricket players taking part in the Indian Twenty20 cricket extravanza, the Indian Premier League (IPL).
Pakistan sports minister Aftab Jilani said it (Pak Sports Ministry) has no objection to its cricketers competing in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
We feel its a private league in which Pakistan players compete in an individual capacity, The Daily Times quoted Jilani, as saying.
He said that the ministry has already conveyed its stance to the President Asif Ali Zardari, patron-in-chief of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), who had asked for an opinion over Pakistans national cricketer taking part in the second season of the league, which kicks-off from April 10 this year.
However, Jilani made it clear that it was upto the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and the players to decide whether they want to play in the league or not.
We have replied to the presidency on this issue and now its up to the players and the PCB, Jilani said.
Several top Pakistani cricketers such as Shahid Afridi , Shoaib Akhtar, Sohail Tanvir, Asif, and Shoaib Malik had participated in the cash-rich IPLs first season last year.
Due to the heightened tension between India and Pakistan after the November 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, it was feared that Pakistan would not allow its players to take part in the league, as the Indian Government had refused to send its cricket team on a tour to Pakistan earlier. (ANI)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |