Pak Sports Minister admits that government failed cricketersMarch 11th, 2009 - 1:49 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Mar.11 (ANI): Pakistans Sports Minister Pir Aftab Shah Jilani has admitted his Government failed the Sri Lankan cricket team last Tuesday by providing inadequate security, but promised it would not happen again as they seek to retain hosting rights for the 2011 World Cup.
For the first time since the terrorist attack that left seven security officials dead and members of the Sri Lankan side injured from gunfire and bombs, a government official has accepted blame and offered an explanation for the bungle that nearly killed the international touring team and devastated prospects of Pakistan hosting any fixtures in the foreseeable future.
The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Jilani as saying that the security of the squad was left to provinces, and not the Federal Government, even though all touring sides are made promises of protection by the national office.
“The Federal Government is very alive to whatever mistakes have occurred, there were lapses, I assure you it will not happen again,”” Jilani told the Herald last night.
“We had provinces in charge of security. We had no problems in Karachi and the first two days of the Test in Lahore it was fine, but obviously there were mistakes. It was entirely a provincial responsibility,”” he added. Jilani said the Government would now control all security for visiting sports teams with input from provinces.
“We will organise improvements on a full scale. The Federal Government will be fully involved in this and the provinces will also be involved,”” he said.
“We will give the highest priority to security people and provinces. Whatever happened has happened, we must now look forward.””
Sri Lanka’’s Australian coach Trevor Bayliss said yesterday he was still awaiting an explanation for the lack of security the team had last week after receiving rigid protection in earlier matches and tours. Jilani rejected a claim from match referee Chris Broad that members of the security force or government knew of the impending attack. Jilani said Pakistan still hopes the International Cricket Council will allow its scheduled matches for the next World Cup on the subcontinent to go ahead as planned. “That is our wish, we want to keep our matches for the World Cup,” Jilani said. (ANI
- 'No one's ever going to replace Murali', says Sri Lanka coach - Oct 29, 2010
- Stuart Law named Sri Lanka coach for tour of England - Apr 07, 2011
- Pakistan tour: Bangladesh Cricket Board satisfied with security - Mar 05, 2012
- Geoff Marsh ends IPL stint to coach Sri Lanka - Sep 23, 2011
- Sri Lanka slash budget, put Australia tour in doubt - Jun 28, 2011
- Pakistan pitches for reviving cricketing ties (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sri Lanka to end Pakistan's cricketing isolation with October series in country - Feb 25, 2011
- Pakistan's cricketing isolation can end in October - Feb 24, 2011
- Vaas, Randiv to cover for Muralitharan, Mathews - Mar 31, 2011
- Unity is our strength: Afridi - Mar 03, 2011
- Muralitharan, Mathews battling to be fit for final (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Vaas, Randiv flying in as covers for Murali and Mathews (Second Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Australia boycott of Sri Lanka will hit world cricket: Muralidharan - Jul 14, 2011
- Pak must improve fielding or be ready for early flight back: Afridi - Feb 27, 2011
- PCB requests Sri Lankan board for full series Pak tour in 2011 - Feb 26, 2011
Tags: aftab, bungle, foreseeable future, government official, inadequate security, lahore, lapses, last tuesday, pir, provincial responsibility, secu, security officials, shah jilani, sports teams, sri lankan cricket, sri lankan cricket team, sri lankan side, sydney morning herald, touring team, trevor bayliss