Pak runaway keeper Zulqarnain’s intention to sue PCB futile, says legal advisorJanuary 25th, 2011 - 1:50 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Jan 25(ANI): Runaway Pakistani wicketkeeper Zulqarnain Haider’s intentions to initiate legal action against the Pakistan Cricket Board are useless, the board’s legal advisor Tafazzul Rizvi has said.
Reacting to Zulqarnain’s threats, PCB’s counselor said there should be a ‘proper’ justification to drag the board in a court of law.
“There should be a proper reason for lawsuit against the PCB,” Geo TV quoted Rizvi, as saying.
Zulqarnain, who had stunned one and all by fleeing the team hotel in Dubai hours before the final one-day international against South Africa last year, recently said he was ready to take legal action against his country’s cricket officials for calling him ‘mentally retarded’.
He wrote on his Facebook page on Monday that he “is ready now 2 (to) sue PCB about mental illness report.”
All those who comprised the PCB’s inquiry committee would also be served a legal notice, added Zulqarnain, who is presently seeking asylum in the UK.
It is noteworthy that following Zulqarnain’s dramatic escape, the PCB had terminated his contract and formed a fact-finding committee- headed by team manager Intikhab Alam and including team security manager Khawaja Najam and PCB official Subhan Ahmed- to establish the facts surrounding his disappearance.
Excerpts from the committee’s report, which was submitted in November last year, revealed that Zulqarnain’s claim that he got death threats from a person, who wanted him to fix matches, were disputed, and the player was dubbed as “weak and nervous”,
The fact finding committee had found ‘ambiguity’ in the various statements Zulqarnain had made over the past few weeks.
The report also claimed that some of the support staff of the national team felt that Zulqarnain was a case of complex personality, and someone who could be easily convinced into believing whatever was said to him. (ANI)
- Zulqarnain stripped of retainer, PCB forms committee on issue - Nov 10, 2010
- Fact-finding committee submits report on 'Haider episode' to PCB - Nov 30, 2010
- Pak committee fails to find clear motive behind wicketkeeper Haider's flight to UK - Dec 25, 2010
- Zulqarnain threatens legal action against PCB for 'assassinating his character' - Dec 26, 2010
- PCB probe panel raises questions on Zulqarnain's claims - Dec 24, 2010
- 'PCB to give "fair chance" to Zulqarnain to explain his position before taking any action' - Nov 27, 2010
- Haider's threats to expose corrupt worries PCB - Dec 06, 2010
- Zulqarnain smells a rat in Pak's World Cup semi-final loss against India - Mar 31, 2011
- Pak cricket team's security manager resigns over "differences" with PCB boss Butt - Dec 19, 2010
- Haider hopes to resurrect career after PCB's clearance - Jun 17, 2011
- Probe committee completes report on Zulqarnain's case - Nov 22, 2010
- PCB, BCCI to talk for resuming Indo-Pak cricket ties after IPL: Subhan Ahmed - Apr 19, 2011
- Zulqarnain's family receive threats following bid to blow lid on corruption in Pak cricket - Nov 29, 2010
- Intikhab calls team members 'mentally retarded' - May 08, 2010
- PCB yet to receive any call from runaway wicketkeeper Zulqarnain - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: ahmed, ambiguity, death threats, disappearance, geo tv, haider, illness report, including team, inquiry committee, justification, lahore, mental illness, najam, pakistan cricket board, rizvi, security manager, seeking asylum, support staff, team hotel, wicketkeeper