Pak keeper Akmal practising on simulated surfaces for India seriesNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:35 am ICT by admin
“I played in India in 2005 and have a fair idea of the surfaces that could be used in the Tests in particular. I have started training by concentrating on my keeping and takes off the spinners,” he said.
He admitted that it was tough to keep on slow Indian pitches.
“It has been hard for me to ignore calls to replace me. It adds to the pressure. I am learning to accept these things,” he said.
“I look at Boucher and Gilchrist, and I know I can take the pressure and also play for a long time,” Akmal said.
“I convince myself that if they can last for so long having battled through bad form or fitness issues, I know I can also do the same,” The News quoted Akmal, as saying.
Commenting on fitness, Akmal said: “Unless you are 100 per cent fit, I don’t think you can survive for long in international cricket. It has also helped me be mentally stronger and perform in pressure situations.”
“Cricket has changed. A wicket-keeper has to be able to bat like a proper batsman to keep his place in the team. The two (Boucher and Gilchrist) are prime examples. Our new trainer has helped me a lot. I am confident despite what people say that I can have a long career,” he added. (ANI)
- Boucher likely to retire after England tour - May 11, 2012
- 'Beach-boy' Kamran's poor wicket keeping due to his 79-kg body weight: Rashid Latif - Mar 15, 2011
- Freak eye injury ends Boucher's international career - Jul 11, 2012
- Kamran's replacement Salman aims to justify his selection in Pak team for Windies tour - Apr 08, 2011
- 'Butter-fingered' keeper Kamran eyes comeback in Pak team as 'specialist batsman' - Apr 23, 2011
- Kamran has been supportive throughout my career, says Adnan Akmal - Jan 14, 2011
- Pakistan team now needs a younger wicketkeeper: Waqar Younis - Apr 05, 2011
- Akmal rejoicing return to Pakistan team - Jan 05, 2011
- Pakistan selectors retain Shoaib Malik for Sri Lanka series - Oct 03, 2011
- Windies keeper Baugh making most of second chance - Nov 09, 2011
- 'Out of form' Kamran needs to take break to work on basics: Latif - Aug 05, 2010
- Umar Akmal's finger injury a 'genuine' problem: Intikhab - Mar 13, 2011
- "I've presented all documents asked for by PCB Integrity Committee": Kamran Akmal - Jan 01, 2011
- Umar Akmal must not keep wickets, says Akram - Mar 09, 2011
- Azam, Adnan, Taufeeq may replace Razzaq, Kamran, Shahzad in Pak team: Afridi - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: akmal, boucher, criticised, fitness issues, gilchrist, i am learning, india series, indian pitches, international cricket, practising, pressure situations, prime examples, spinners, started training, wicket keeper, wicket keeping