Pak hockey team should “play with attacking strategy” to win gold at Guangzhou: IslahNovember 21st, 2010 - 5:42 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, Nov 21 (ANI): Former Pakistan captain Islahuddin has expressed hope that Pakistan can still win the hockey gold medal at the ongoing Asian Games in Guangzhou if they “play with an attacking strategy”.
“All the teams featuring in the Games have fielded their second string sides, as compared to Pakistan who are playing with their full strength, which makes us the main title contenders,” The News quoted Islahuddin, as saying.
Pakistan are virtually in the semifinals, as they only need to defeat minnows Bangladesh for a place in the last-four.
The legendary captain advised the Greenshirts to play their natural attacking game, saying the Dutch coach Michel Van Den Heuvel was trying to mould Pakistan into a defensive unit, which was having a negative impact on the team.
“Pakistani players are trained to play with an attacking strategy and asking them to change their natural game is resulting in defeats,” Islah said.
He also suggested that the Pakistani players lacked team spirit, while referring to their loss against India.
“Pakistan team focused on individual game against India, which was the main reason behind their loss. They need to play united as a team.” said Islah. (ANI)
- Abbottabad fast becoming no-go area for sports - May 21, 2011
- Pakistan hockey eyeing a podium finish in London Olympics - Jan 25, 2011
- Veteran Zeeshan Ashraf left out of Pakistan hockey squad - May 21, 2011
- Pak's Dutch hockey coach likely to snub training camp over security concerns - Aug 07, 2010
- Pakistan hockey coach confident of beating India in Asiad - Oct 31, 2010
- Pakistan drop seniors for Asian Champions Trophy hockey - Aug 19, 2011
- Pak hockey team must play 'attacking game' at CWG: Shahnaz Sheikh - Oct 03, 2010
- Pak plans to avenge cricket WC semi-final loss by defeating India on hockey field - Apr 02, 2011
- Asian Games hockey: India win bronze; Pakistan gold, Olympics berth (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Pakistan hockey invests in technology to improve players' fitness - Jul 06, 2011
- Pakistani hockey legends lament loss to India - Oct 12, 2010
- Pakistan hockey coach expects better show at Asiad - Jun 26, 2010
- Pak hockey coach rules out return to country until 'security concerns' addressed - Jan 14, 2011
- Dutch van den Heuvel takes over as Pakistan's new hockey coach - Jun 20, 2010
- Pakistan hockey team completes Olympic training at Abbottabad - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: asian games, attacking game, bangladesh, coach, full strength, hockey gold medal, hockey team, india pakistan, islah, michel van, minnows, negative impact, pakistan captain, pakistan team, second string, team spirit, title contenders, van den heuvel