Pak hockey coach wary of India ahead of Azlan Shah ChampionshipApril 1st, 2009 - 3:26 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, Apr.1 (ANI): Pakistan hockey coach Shahid Ali Khan is expecting a tough fight from arch rivals India in the forthcoming Azlan Shah tournament.
Khan said the Indian squad has been in tremendous form recently, and is a strong contender for the championship.
“India is a very tough team, something they’ve proved by beating Germany at home and New Zealand away in recent times,” The News quoted Khan, as saying.
He said his team has not participated in any international event for a long time now, which can have a detrimental effect on its chances of regaining the trophy and boosting Asia Cup hopes.
“Unlike India, Pakistan has not played any international game since last October, India has been playing regularly and that would help them in Malaysia,” Khan said.
He particularly pointed out towards the Indian captain Sandeep Singh’s capability to convert penalty corners into goals and sees the seasoned defender as one of the biggest hurdle in Pakistan’s success.
“Sandeep is a very good short corner expert and is a big plus point for India,” he said.
Pakistan would miss the services of their short corner ace Sohail Abbas during the trophy.
Khan, however, is hoping that new drag flickers in the team Muhammad Imran and Ehsanullah would click for them.
The Sultan Azlan Shah Trophy will be played in Ipoh, Malaysia from April 5 to12. (ANI)
- Pakistan determined to win Azlan Shah Cup, says Imran - May 01, 2011
- India need to cover all bases against Pakistan - May 10, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: Rupinder drag-flicks India past Britain 3-1 - May 06, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: Pakistan beat India 3-1 - May 11, 2011
- Azlan Shah Cup: India gear up for New Zealand - May 23, 2012
- I have a plan to hoodwink the Europeans: Drag-flicker Sandeep Singh (Interview) - Jun 30, 2012
- Chettri to lead India in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup - Apr 12, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: Argentina end India's title hopes - May 30, 2012
- HI announces squad for Sultan Azlan Shah - Apr 19, 2011
- Pakistan hockey coach wary of Sandeep's skills - Mar 31, 2009
- Azlan Shah: India bounce back to beat South Korea 2-1 - May 25, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India stun Britain to clinch bronze - Jun 03, 2012
- Hapless India thrashed by New Zealand in Azlan Shah opener - May 24, 2012
- Azlan Shah Cup: India beat Pakistan to keep faint hope (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- India suffer humiliating 1-3 loss to Pakistan in Azlan Shah Hockey (Lead) - May 11, 2011
Tags: abbas, ace, ali khan, arch rivals, asia cup, azlan shah trophy, contender, detrimental effect, flickers, hockey coach, hurdle, imran, india pakistan, indian captain, international game, ipoh malaysia, muhammad, penalty corners, sandeep singh, sultan azlan shah