Pak cricket team minus Mohammad Asif arrives in New DelhiNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:15 am ICT by admin
Before the team’s departure to New Delhi, a sudden announcement of Asif’s exclusion from the squad for the first four ODIs against India, left fans shocked.
“It’s a big loss,” Cricinfo quoted Malik, as saying.
“We will try to overcome the loss and hope that it would not affect the team’s performance in the series,” he added.
Asif, who had suffered an injury in his right elbow during Multan ODI last month playing against the Proteas, is yet to fully recover.
However, his inclusion in the squad was announced on October 26.
Quoting sources in the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), Cricinfo reported that Asif is likely to miss the entire ODI series against India, and his participation in the Test series is in doubt.
Due to the uncertain nature of the injury, the extent of his participation in the ODIs remains in doubt and a replacement has not yet been sought, the website further added.
However, Shafqat Naghmi, the chief operating officer of the PCB sounded hopeful of Asif’s recovery and said, “He may be fit enough to go to India after three matches so we haven’t yet announced a replacement as there are four fast bowlers in the squad anyway.”
Pakistan, who last won a Test series in India in 1986, will be in action straightaway with a warm-up one-day match against the Delhi Ranji team on Friday.
The Pakistan team squad for the series include, Shoaib Malik (Captain) Younis Khan (Vice Captain), Abdur Rehman, Fawad Alam, Iftikhar Anjum, Imran Nazir, Kamran Akmal (Wicket Keeper), Misbah-ul-Haq, Mohammad Yousuf, Salman Butt Shahid Afridi, Shoaib Akhtar Sohail Tanvir , Umar Gul Yasir Hameed. (ANI)
- Younis ignored for Pak teams for England tour - Jun 21, 2010
- Pakistan drop Riaz over spot-fixing links - Nov 21, 2011
- Afridi, Waqar wanted Malik, not Younis to replace Yousuf for South Africa series - Oct 21, 2010
- Younus Khan likely to join 'scandal-hit' Pak team for England ODIs - Aug 31, 2010
- PCB snubs Afridi by ignoring Younis for ODI series against England - Aug 25, 2010
- Banned Younis, Malik and ageing Akhtar in PCB's list of 35 probables for Asia Cup - May 26, 2010
- Pakistan announce World Cup squad without a captain - Jan 18, 2011
- Pakistan ignore Younis for Test series against Australia - Dec 08, 2009
- PCB most likely to retain Afridi as Pak captain for World Cup 2011 - Feb 01, 2011
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- Pakistan names cricket squad for T20 World Cup - Jul 18, 2012
- Abdul Qadir resigned due to "lack of independence", dispute over Akhtar's selection - Dec 29, 2010
- Butt, Asif and Aamer will be hard to replace: Pak chief selector - Oct 02, 2010
- Now, Pak selector says 'spot-fixing' players 'innocent till proven guilty' - Sep 03, 2010
- PCB recalls Younus to Test and T20 squads, overlooks Malik, Akmal, Yousuf - Dec 01, 2010
Tags: chief operating officer, cricinfo, cricket, doubt, imran nazir, India, indira gandhi international airport, match, mohammad asif, mohammad yousuf, New Delhi, odi, odis, pakistan, participation, pcb, shahid afridi, shoaib akhtar, shoaib malik, test series