Paine might replace Hussey in Australia’s World Cup top-six: BrackenJanuary 20th, 2011 - 2:23 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 20 (ANI): Nathan Bracken has said Australia might have no choice but to play back-up wicket-keeper Tim Paine in the top-six due to a lack of balance in the World Cup squad.
With Australia likely to risk taking Mike Hussey to the subcontinent in the hope he will be fit for the later stages of the group phase, selectors will have to choose between his brother David and Paine to bat in the top six.
Speaking exclusively to foxsports.com.au, Bracken suggested that Paine might have to play as a specialist batsman in a vital lower-order role, along with keeper Brad Haddin.
Bracken believes Paine is a good enough batsman; the situation could have been avoided by picking Brad Hodge, a senior batsman who knows how to dictate the tempo of a one-day international.
“I was listening to Andrew Hilditch the other night who said they’ve literally picked the top six batsmen - they’ve fitted them in, they’ve (got their) roles and scored runs, played together for a while - that’s all fantastic, but at the moment there’s not a lot of cover,” Bracken said.
“To be honest, from what I’ve heard, (Paine’s) been picked as back-up keeper and a back-up batter as well. He’s batted top of the order for Australia, scored a 100 at Notts (Nottinghamshire county side), so obviously you’ve got to be a decent cricketer to do all that,” he said.
“He’s scored runs for Tasmania, runs in Test cricket, the thing is, he can bat. Him being picked as a batter, I don’t think it’s a major issue,” Bracken said.
Bracken believes Mike Hussey needs to be given every chance to prove his fitness because the balance of the side hinges on his unique role. (ANI)
- We will keep India under pressure, says Hussey - Dec 23, 2011
- Hussey will be missed, but selectors made correct decision: Border - Feb 17, 2011
- Selectors hand Clarke a squad of veterans for Bangladesh tour - Apr 07, 2011
- Aussies ready to ramp up bid for 4th WC title: Hussey - Mar 14, 2011
- Hastings in Australia's World Cup squad, Siddle dropped - Jan 18, 2011
- India struggling to save follow-on in Adelaide Test (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Can India end Australia's dominance in World Cup? (Preview) - Mar 23, 2011
- Australian batsmen prepare to face a tough series against Pakistan - Dec 24, 2009
- Adelaide Test: Kohli hunts for ton but Australia in control (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Hussey doubtful for World Cup - Jan 17, 2011
- Border warns Aussies: Christchurch earthquake may give Kiwis added motivation - Feb 23, 2011
- Forrest, Wade in Australia's Test squad; Haddin retained - Mar 14, 2012
- India's losing streak in Australia continues (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2012
- Australia bat in fourth Test - Jan 24, 2012
- WC 2011: Siddle the ideal choice to replace injured Bollinger, says Clark - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: australia, batsman, brother david, cricketer, fitness, group phase, hinges, melbourne, mike hussey, nathan bracken, nottinghamshire county, selectors, subcontinent, tasmania, tempo, test cricket, tim paine, wicket keeper, world cup squad