Pailan Arrows beat Chirag Kerala for first win in I-LeagueApril 25th, 2012 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, April 25 (IANS) Pailan Arrows defeated Chirag United Kerala 3-0 to register their first win in I-League football at the Nehru Stadium here Wednesday.
Pailan Arrows, All India Football Federation (AIFF) developmental team, rode on national team striker C.S. Sabeeth’s hat-trick to deflate Chirag Kerala.
Sabeeth scored the first in the 33rd minute and then doubled the score in the injury time of the first half. He completed the rout in the injury time of the second half when he converted from the spot. Sabeeth was adjudged Man-of-the-Match.
The victory takes Pailan Arrows to 13 points from 24 matches while the relegation axe fell on Chirag Kerala who stay on 17 points from 24 matches.
Chances were even for the sides in the early period of the play as rival strikers Vineeth CK for Chirag and George Alwyn for Pailan came close to putting their respective teams into an early lead.
But all had to wait till the 33rd minute for the first goal. Chirag goalkeeper and captain Sharath K was to blame for the goal as he fumbled a shot from Malswamfela. The ball fell kindly for Sabeeth who just had to tap it in from close.
Pailan’s young guns doubled their lead in the added time of the first half. This time it was from a break initiated by Bikramjit Singh who released Sabeeth ahead of Chirag backline. Sabeeth rounded past the on rushing Sharath and slotted the ball into the open net to conclude the first forty-five minutes.
Changing over, Chirag coach Biswajit Bhattacharya brought in winger Usman Ashik in place of Suman Dutta. He also rang changes by bringing on Pradeep Mohanraj in the central midfield and pushing Vineeth to the wings to bring more creativity.
But their fortunes did not change and relegation was looming in the horizons. And it could not have gone worse for them as Sherin Sam received marching orders for bringing down George Alwyn in the box and a spot kick was awarded to Arrows. Sabeeth blasted the penalty down the middle of the goal, completing the Indian international’s first I-League hat-trick.
- I-League: Chirag take on Pailan Arrows - Apr 24, 2012
- I-League: Pailan go down to Prayag - Apr 06, 2012
- East Bengal scrape past Chirag United 4-3 - Apr 16, 2012
- Odafe hat-trick helps Mohun Bagan come from behind to beat Arrows - Oct 24, 2011
- I-League: Dempo beat 10-man Pailan Arrows - Feb 12, 2012
- Pailan, Salgaocar play goalless draw in I-League - Feb 02, 2012
- Mohun Bagan, Mumbai FC win (Roundup) - Oct 24, 2011
- Salgaocar ride past HAL 4-0, Pailan beat Mumbai FC 2-1 - Sep 21, 2011
- I-League: Pune outscore HAL - Apr 10, 2012
- Dortmund crushes Kaiserslautern in German Bundesliga - Apr 29, 2012
- Mumbai FC stun Churchill Brothers 2-1 - Feb 06, 2012
- Jeje to lead India U-22 in AFC Championship qualifiers - Jun 20, 2012
- Pailan Arrows register second consecutive I-League win - Apr 28, 2012
- I-League: Pune FC beat Chirag United 3-1 - Nov 02, 2011
- Sporting challenge for confident Bagan in I-League - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: added time, alwyn, ashik, backline, central midfield, football federation, hat trick, injury time, kerala, kochi, league football, nehru stadium, s young, sharath, sherin, strikers, team striker, usman, winger, young guns