Paes threatens to withdraw from OlympicsJune 20th, 2012 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 20 (IANS) India’s tennis ace Leander Paes Wednesday served notice to the All India Tennis Association (AITA) saying he would pull out of the London Olympics if he was asked to pair up with a player ranked 207/306 in the world.
Paes, in his letter to AITA secretary general Bharat Oza, reiterated that he was ready to pair with either Mahesh Bhupathi or Rohan Bopanna.
“I am comfortable to partner Mahesh or Rohan for the forthcoming Olympics. If Mahesh or Rohan refuse to play with me for our country, then I am happy to play with the next best player that the AITA decides on.
“However, it would not be acceptable, if with my ranking as the best Indian tennis player, I give up the best option of partner for winning a medal for my country and am made to play the Olympics with a player ranked 207/306 in the world while the No.13 and No.15 ranked players form another team together based on their refusal to play with me,” Paes said in the letter.
Last week, the AITA announced that Bhupathi would partner Paes at the London Games. But both Bhupathi and Bopanna, who qualify for the Olympics as a team, have refused to pair with Paes.
Paes, who has earned direct qualification, being World No.7, has the right to choose his partner while Bhupathi and Bopanna can only play as a team at the Olympics.
Bhupathi also wants to pair with Sania Mirza for the mixed doubles event at the Games but that can happen only if Mirza gets a wildcard entry. They recently won the French Open mixed doubles title.
Paes, however, said that he and Mirza have gained a direct entry into the mixed doubles event.
“I have been ATP ranked at No.1 in the world as a team and No.7 in the world individually, for the first six months of 2012. By virtue of this, I have got a direct entry into the men’s doubles at the Olympics with the right to choose my partner. I would also bring to your notice that Sania and I, by virtue of our combined ranking of No.19 on the ATP Tour have got a direct entry in the mixed doubles at the Olympics,” said Paes.
Paes also said that allowing Bhupathi and Bopanna to call the shots and defy the decision of the selection committee would set a bad example.
“If this is the case, then for the sake of Indian Tennis and to relieve the AITA in regards to the selection of the team, I have no other option but to withdraw from the Olympics,” Paes said adding that “this decision is not taken lightly and with any rancour”.
“We cannot be condoning or rewarding the drama enacted by Mahesh and Rohan. This would be a bad precedent for current and future sports persons (particularly tennis players) in our country,” said Paes.
- Paes serves a threat, AITA defers Olympics selection (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- AITA keeps players happy; to send two teams for Games (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Paes to play with Vishnu, Bhupathi-Bopanna team up (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Vece Paes slams AITA's decision - Jun 21, 2012
- Sania, Somdev get wild card; 7 Indians for Olympic tennis (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sania tears apart AITA, doesn't spare Paes and Bhupathi (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Maken retreats; AITA, Bhupathi back to square one (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Selector Rohit Rajpal to meet Paes in London - Jun 22, 2012
- AITA rejects Sania's claims, says team selected on merit - Jun 27, 2012
- AITA picks two teams for Olympics, Paes still unhappy (Roundup) - Jun 21, 2012
- Maken questions AITA's decision to pick one team - Jun 18, 2012
- Players should put country first, says Maken - Jun 22, 2012
- Mahesh Bhupathi opts out of Davis Cup tie - Mar 06, 2012
- Full text of AITA release - Jun 15, 2012
- French title will not get Sania-Bhupathi London ticket - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: atp tour, best player, bharat, french open, french open mixed doubles, indian tennis, leander paes, london games, london olympics, mahesh bhupathi, oza, partner mahesh, qualify for the olympics, ranked players, rohan bopanna, sania mirza, tennis ace, tennis association, tennis player, wildcard entry