Paes thanks Stepanek for helping him win Australian OpenJanuary 28th, 2012 - 10:50 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Jan 28 (IANS) Indian tennis veteran Leander Paes praised his Czech partner Radek Stepanek for playing a crucial role in realising his dream of winning the Australian Open men’s doubles title Saturday.
Paes finally completed a career Grand Slam of winning all the four major tennis titles by winning the Australian Open men’s doubles event beating the World No.1 pair Bryan brothers, Mike and Bob, from the US in straight sets in the final at the Rod Laver Arena.
The Indo-Czech pair, who lost to the American twins in the Sydney International tournament in the run-up to the Open, won 7-6(7-1), 6-2. The title was Paes’s 13th Grand Slam, seventh in men’s doubles and first with Stepanek.
Paes said beating the World No.1 pair to achieve the title was special.
“I have to thank my partner Radek for putting me on his shoulders and carrying me through the week. I have played five finals against the brothers and lost three and you know how it feels,” Paes said.
Paes said the Bryans brothers are great ambassadors of the game. The American duo were also chasing their record 12th Grand Slam doubles title.
“I have highest regard for you guys (Bob and Mike). Great ambassadors of the game for the manner in which you conduct yourselves,” he said.
Paes, who was cheered by his former mixed doubles partner Martina Navratilova from the stand, thanked all for playing a crucial role in his career.
“To my daughter Aiyana and wife Rhea. Martina (Navratilova) for being such an inspiration and all the support staff,” he said.
Stepanek, for whom it was his first Grand Slam, became emotional.
“It’s tough to add to what Leander has said. This was one title that was missing and I am happy that I was by your side when you won it. Also want to say ‘hi’ to my wife Nicol and I would be back soon,” he said.
Mike congratulated Paes for finally completing a career Grand Slam of winning all the four major tennis titles
“Congratulations to Leander and Radek and best of luck for the rest of the season. We have loved coming here and playing for the past 15 years. The crowd is fantastic. I will be flying back tomorrow as my wife is due,” he said.
- US Open: Paes-Stepanek face Bryan brothers in final - Sep 07, 2012
- Paes brings cheer on a day cricketers cave in - Jan 28, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek shock Bryan brothers; lift Australian Open men's doubles title (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- We brought out our best game: Paes - Sep 08, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek storm into final of Australian Open - Jan 26, 2012
- US Open: Paes-Stepanek set-up final clash with Bryan brothers (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna in Cincinnati final - Aug 19, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek beat Marrero-Verdasco, meet Bryan brothers in semis - Mar 29, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek in finals, Mahesh-Bhupathi out - Mar 30, 2012
- Paes aiming to win Olympic medal in doubles - Feb 03, 2012
- Paes-Vesnina go down fighting in Australian Open final (Lead) - Jan 29, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi crash out of Australian Open - Jan 27, 2012
- India pin hopes on doubles at Australian Open - Jan 15, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna reach semis at Miami - Mar 28, 2012
- Paes-Bhupathi advance to semis, Bopanna-Qureshi out - Aug 20, 2011
Tags: aiyana, ambassadors, australian open, bob and mike, career grand slam, indian tennis, jan 28, leander paes, major tennis, martina navratilova, mixed doubles, nicol, open men, partner martina, radek stepanek, rod laver, rod laver arena, straight sets, sydney international, tennis titles