Paes-Stepanek beat Marrero-Verdasco, meet Bryan brothers in semisMarch 29th, 2012 - 2:07 am ICT by IANS
Miami, March 29 (IANS) In the first doubles match played on the stadium court in this year’s Sony Ericsson Open, seventh-seeded Leander Paes of India and his Czech partner Radek Stepanek defeated Spaniards David Marrero and Fernando Verdasco in straight sets, 7-6 (6), 6-4, to enter the semifinals here Wednesday.
Paes and Stepanek played superior tennis, committing 11 unforced errors and hitting 21 winners, including a fine forehand smash by Paes to finish the match.
Paes and Stepanek have partnered to win all six sets thus far in the tournament and are now 12-2 as a team in 2012.
They’ll meet the top seeds Bob and Mike Bryan of the United States in the semifinal.
The Bryan brothers have also won all six sets so far. However, Paes and Stepanek were able to beat them 7-6 (1), 6-2, in the doubles final of the Australian Open in January.
A week prior to that match, the Bryans needed two tiebreaks to overcome Paes and Stepanek 7-6 (5), 7-6 (7) in a quarterfinal at Sydney.
Paes’ compatriots Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna, seeded sixth here, are already through to the semifinals, outlasting No. 3 seeds Michael Llodra of France and Nenad Zimonjic of Serbia, 2-6, 6-3, 10-8, Wednesday.
The Indians will next take on the winner of the other quarter-final between the Polish-Serbian duo of Lukasz Kubot-Janko Tipsarevic and Max Mirnyi of Belarus and Daniel Nestor of Canada.
The Indian combo, who had recently won the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, saved as many as four breakpoints out of six against the French-Serbian pair.
- Bhupathi-Bopanna reach semis at Miami - Mar 28, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna knock out top seeds to make semis - May 19, 2012
- Paes-Bhupathi advance to semis, Bopanna-Qureshi out - Aug 20, 2011
- Bhupathi-Bopanna in Cincinnati tennis quarters - Aug 17, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna lose in Rome Masters' semis - May 20, 2012
- Good day for Indians in Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
- Bhupathi-Paes through to Australian Open semi-finals - Jan 26, 2011
- Rogers Cup: Paes-Melzer in semis, Sania-Bethanie exit - Aug 12, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek storm into final of Australian Open - Jan 26, 2012
- Sweet victory: Leander Paes, Mahesh Bhupathi clinch Cincinnati title (Lead) - Aug 22, 2011
- Bhupathi-Bopanna, Paes-Stepanek advance to Miami quarters - Mar 27, 2012
- Paes and Bhupathi in third round at Miami - Mar 30, 2011
- Paes-Vesnina beat top seeds to enter Wimbledon final - Jul 08, 2012
- Bopanna-Qureshi go down fighting in French Open - Jun 02, 2011
- Paes-Bhupathi and Bopanna-Qureshi in quarterfinals - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: bob and mike, bob and mike bryan, breakpoints, bryans, daniel nestor, dubai duty free tennis, fernando verdasco, janko tipsarevic, kubot, leander paes, mahesh bhupathi, max mirnyi, michael llodra, nenad zimonjic, radek stepanek, rohan bopanna, sony ericsson, straight sets, tennis championships, unforced errors