Paes-Dlouhy in final, Bhupathi-Mirnyi in semis at MiamiApril 2nd, 2010 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
Miami, April 2 (IANS) India’s Leander Paes and Luks Dlouhy of the Czech Republic breezed past Spaniards Nicolas Almagro and Tommy Robredo 6-3, 6-0 to reach the doubles final of the Sony Ericsson Open tennis.
Paes and Dlouhy, winners of Roland Garros and the US Open last year, needed just 42 minutes to demolish the Spaniards, dropping just nine points in the second set Thursday at Crandon Park Tennis Center here.
Paes could meet his old partner and compatriot Mahesh Bhupathi in the finals.
Fourth seeds Bhupathi and Max Mirnyi of Belarus entered the semi-finals as they overcame a tough fight from Frenchmen Arnaud Clement and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-4, 6-7(5), 10-4 in an hour and 38 minutes.
They will play Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski for a place in the final.
The Indian-Belarusian duo, which reunited at the beginning of 2010, is through to its first semi-final since featuring in the final four of the 2004 BNP Paribas Masters in Paris. The 2002 US Open champions are bidding for their seventh title together and their fifth ATP World Tour Masters 1000 trophy.
The 35-year-old Bhupathi is aiming to reach the Miami final for the second time in three years after finishing runner-up with Mark Knowles in 2008. Meanwhile, the 32-year-old Mirnyi is defending champion in Miami after lifting the trophy last year with Andy Ram and is chasing his fifth title at the.
- Bopanna-Bhupathi, Paes-Stepanek out of Madrid Open - May 13, 2012
- Bhupathi-Mirnyi to meet Paes-Dlouhy in Miami final - Apr 03, 2010
- Bhupathi-Bopanna knock out top seeds to make semis - May 19, 2012
- Somdev qualifies for Dubai Tennis Championships - Feb 21, 2010
- Paes-Bhupathi advance to semis, Bopanna-Qureshi out - Aug 20, 2011
- Bhupathi-Paes through to Australian Open semi-finals - Jan 26, 2011
- Bhupathi-Bopanna in Cincinnati tennis quarters - Aug 17, 2012
- Rogers Cup: Paes-Melzer in semis, Sania-Bethanie exit - Aug 12, 2012
- US Open: Paes-Bhupathi beat Somdev-Huey to enter quarterfinals - Sep 06, 2011
- US Open: Injured Paes withdraws from mixed doubles - Sep 09, 2011
- Bhupathi-Bopanna win Dubai Open title - Mar 03, 2012
- Paes-Bhupathi beat Bryan twins, enter semis at Tour finals - Nov 26, 2011
- Bopanna-Qureshi advance to second round - Aug 18, 2010
- Bopanna-Qureshi crash out of US Open men's doubles semis - Sep 10, 2011
- Bhupathi-Mirnyi in Cincinnati Masters semi-final - Aug 21, 2010
Tags: andy ram, atp world tour, bhupathi mirnyi, bnp paribas, bnp paribas masters, crandon park tennis, crandon park tennis center, defending champion, ericsson open tennis, jo wilfried tsonga, leander paes, mahesh bhupathi, marcin matkowski, mariusz fyrstenberg, mark knowles, max mirnyi, nicolas almagro, roland garros, sony ericsson open tennis, tommy robredo