Padukone, Kumble, Dravid among stars to welcome Queen’s Baton Relay to BangaloreAugust 31st, 2010 - 5:38 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug.31 (ANI): Some of the leading lights of Indian sports will welcome the Queen’s Baton Relay for the XIX Commonwealth Games 2010 Delhi, which reaches Bangalore on September 2.
Among those who will participate in the relay are former Commonwealth Games badminton gold medalist and All-England champion Prakash Padukone, cricketing legends G.R. Vishwanath, Anil Kumble and Rahul Dravid, Karnataka’s first Olympian Kenneth Powell, Dronacharya Award winning boxer Captain. M. Venu and tennis ace Mahesh Bhupathi.
Asian Games hockey gold medalist Sabu Varkey and Arjuna Awardees Chetan Baboor (table tennis), Nisha Millet (swimming), Reeth Abraham (athletics) and Ashwini Nachappa (athletics) will also be among those participating.
Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa will receive the baton along with the state Olympic Association President K. Govindraj.
Hundreds of sportspersons and sports lovers from urban, sub-urban and rural areas of the state are also expected to participate in the event.
The baton will travel to Hassan on September 4 and then to Mangalore before concluding its Karnataka journey at Karwar. It then reaches Panjim in Goa on September 7.
The Bangalore leg would mark Day 69 of the 100-day QBR journey. The South India leg of the relay commenced mid-August in Hyderabad and has already extensively covered Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep and Kerala before entering Karnataka through Mysore.
The QBR has seen widespread participation from former and current athletes and sportspersons apart from a lot of enthusiasm from all walks of society including the youth, students, celebrities and the political spectrum. (ANI)
- Padukone, Powell lead Queen's Baton Relay - Sep 02, 2010
- Anand, Krishnan to welcome Queen's Baton Relay in Chennai - Aug 20, 2010
- Eminent sportspersons to carry baton in Chandigarh - Jun 29, 2010
- Commonwealth Games: Queen's Baton rally organized in Delhi - Oct 01, 2010
- Commonwealth Games: Queen's Baton reaches Delhi - Sep 30, 2010
- Punjab right place to start QBR's Indian leg: Kalmadi - Jun 24, 2010
- Bindra to lead Indian sportspersons in Queen's Baton Relay - Oct 23, 2009
- Cash bonanza for armed forces CWG medal winners - Oct 15, 2010
- Powell, Padukone to lead CWG Baton Relay in Bangalore - Aug 26, 2010
- Now, Stosur pulls out of Commonwealth Games - Jul 27, 2010
- Queen's Baton Relay enters Uttarakhand from Himachal - Jul 06, 2010
- Pinki: I was treated like animal, blackmailed - Jul 11, 2012
- Colourful journey of Queen's baton continues in Punjab - Jun 26, 2010
- India all set for Queen's Baton Relay - Jun 24, 2010
- Curtain raiser to 2010 CWG to be launched on Oct 29 - Oct 23, 2009
Tags: andaman and nicobar, andaman and nicobar islands, Anil Kumble, ashwini, commonwealth games 2010, england champion, gold medalist, hockey gold, indian sports, karnataka chief minister, kenneth powell, mahesh bhupathi, olympic association, political spectrum, prakash padukone, rahul dravid, tennis ace, varkey, vishwanath, youth students