Oz tennis great Roche compares Federer to LaverJanuary 31st, 2009 - 5:55 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan.31 (ANI): Former Australian tennis great Tony Roche believes that Swiss player Roger Federer is as great as former Grand Slam champion Rod Laver.
He believes Federer will eclipse Pete Sampras’’s all-time record of 14 grand slam titles, even if he fails against Rafael Nadal in the Australian Open men’’s final on Sunday.
Hailing Federer the most elegant player he had seen, Roche declared the Swiss master on an irreversible journey to tennis immortality.
At the moment, he’’s one of the greatest players of all time and, if he stays healthy and continues to win grand slams, he”ll go down as the greatest player,”” Roche said.
It’’s probably just a matter of time before he breaks Sampras’’s record.””
Roche lauded Federer as the complete player and, fittingly on the 40th anniversary of Rod Laver’’s 1969 grand slam sweep, likened the Swiss ace to the Rockhampton Rocket.
He plays the game the way it should be played. He’’s got all the shots; he’’s got variation. He can slice, he can volley, he mixes it up well. He’’s a great mover; he’’s got beautiful balance. He’’s smart; his court craft is very good,” Fox Sports quoted Roche, as saying.
And also his temperament. I think that helps him a lot. He seems to be quite calm and collected in tough situations. And like all champions, he plays his best when he needs to,”” he added.
Roche, who coached the 27-year-old for from 2005-07, during which the Swiss ace collected six majors, said the French Open remained the long-time former world No.1′’s last frontier.
He”d love to win the French. If he can achieve that, he’’s definitely the greatest player that’’s ever lived,”” Roche said.(ANI)
- Safin may become Russian president: Sampras - Nov 01, 2011
- Federer surpasses Sampras' feat - Jul 16, 2012
- Gracious Sampras pays tribute to king of the Slams - Jul 06, 2009
- Laver backs Murray for Grand Slam glory - Feb 07, 2011
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
- Laver backs Federer to win Australian Open - Jan 29, 2009
- Grand Slam tennis: Nadal needs to be wary as Federer not dead yet - Jan 16, 2011
- Federer makes history with French Open title (Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Federer on a mission to regain tennis top ranking, says ex-coach Roche - Jan 31, 2009
- Novak Djokovic Registers Second Australian Open Title, Beats Andy Murray - Jan 30, 2011
- Sampras, Moya join hometown hero Li Na for exhibition tournament - Dec 17, 2011
- Federer beats Djokovic to reach Wimbledon final - Jul 06, 2012
- 'King of Clay' Nadal nearing legend status: McEnroe - Jul 03, 2010
- Tennis stars to play for Haiti earthquake victims - Jan 16, 2010
- Paes-Stepanek shock Bryan brothers; lift Australian Open men's doubles title (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: 40th anniversary, australian open, australian tennis, fox sports, french open, grand slam champion, grand slam titles, immortality, last frontier, majors, matter of time, open men, pete sampras, rafael nadal, rod laver, roger federer, swiss player, time record, tony roche, volley