Oz swimmer Napoleon banned from Delhi Commonwealth GamesAugust 26th, 2010 - 12:33 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Aug 27 (ANI): Australian swimmer Ryan Napoleon has been banned from participating in the Delhi Commonwealth Games after testing positive for the banned substance Formoterol.
Swimming governing body FINA imposed the ban on Thursday, even though it accepted that an innocent mistake was made when Napoleon took incorrectly labelled medication before he tested positive on November 16.
Napoleon said that he felt “devastated” after being ruled out of the Commonwalth Games by a three-month doping ban.
Napoleon had qualified to contest the 400m and 1500m freestyle at the Delhi Games in October, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
Swimming Australia (SA) said Napoleon, 20, has taken the asthma medication Pulmicort for most of his life. However, on this occasion, a Pulmicort inhaler was wrongly labelled by a pharmacist and was actually Symbicort, which contains Formoterol.
“It’s devastating. It’s extremely disappointing and something that I have been dealing with since April this year when I was first notified that there was an issue,” Napoleon said.
“A mistake was made, and the FINA panel accepted that a mistake was made in the hearing, but as an athlete I still understand that I have a responsibility to check all my medication thoroughly,” he said. (ANI)
- Australian swimmer banned from Commonwealth Games - Aug 26, 2010
- CAS clears Australian swimmer Ryan Napoleon to participate in Delhi CWG - Sep 15, 2010
- Oz swimmer Ryan Napoleon desperate to compete at Commonwealth Games - Sep 27, 2010
- Brazilian swimmer banned for two years - Jun 28, 2012
- Federation to make a case for dope-tainted swimmers - Sep 08, 2010
- Two Pakistani swimmers allowed to compete in Olympics - Jun 09, 2012
- Gagan sole Indian representative in swimming at London - Jul 07, 2012
- Troubled waters: Delhi belly too much for Hurley to stomach - Oct 05, 2010
- Olympics: South Korea's Park reinstated for final after disqualified (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Chinese anti-doping official warns athletes - Jul 24, 2012
- British Olympic chief defends Chinese swimmer Ye - Jul 31, 2012
- Chinese swimming team get hero's welcome - Aug 07, 2012
- 'Delhi belly' bug hits Oz swimming stars Hurley and Napoleon - Oct 04, 2010
- Michael Phelps wins the gold medal at the FINA Swimming World Championship - Jul 27, 2011
- B-samples of swimmers, athletes also positive - Sep 08, 2010
Tags: 400m, asthma, asthma medication, athlete, australia, australian swimmer, commonwalth games, commonwealth games, fina, formoterol, freestyle, innocent mistake, medication, morning herald, napoleon, pharmacist, pulmicort inhaler, swimming governing body, sydney morning herald, symbicort