Oz selectors delay replacement for Bollinger seeing Hussey’s optimism to return

March 1st, 2011 - 4:11 pm ICT by ANI  

Sydney, Mar 1 (ANI): Mike Hussey’s optimism about a stunning return to the Australian World Cup squad after being forced out by a hamstring injury, has forced Cricket Australia selectors’ to delay announcing a replacement in the 15-man squad for injured Doug Bollinger.

Chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch said the form and fitness of Australia’s incumbent pacers — Brett Lee, Shaun Tait and Mitchell Johnson — and bowling all-rounder John Hastings’ status as the next in line for inclusion had convinced the selection panel there was no need to immediately replace left-armer Bollinger.

“We also have cover in the event of an injury to [wicketkeeper] Brad Haddin or any one of the batsmen so there is seen to be no rush in making the decision,” The Sydney Morning herald quoted Hilditch, as saying.

“The panel will make a decision as we approach the later stages of the tournament so we can select a replacement player who will give us the best chance of success in the World Cup,” he said.

The cover Hilditch referred to was Hastings as a bowler, Callum Ferguson as a batsman and Tim Paine as a wicketkeeper and, potentially, also as a specialist batsman.

Australia’s next match is not until Saturday, against Sri Lanka, with its final three group matches to be played against Kenya, Canada and Pakistan. The quarter-finals do not begin until March 23.

Hussey’s attempt to return last week for Western Australia was blocked by Cricket Australia on medical grounds. He is slated to play in the Warriors’ home Sheffield Shield match against Queensland, which starts on Thursday. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Sports |

Subscribe