Oz greats want batting sensation Warner in ODI squadJanuary 13th, 2009 - 5:09 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 13 (ANI): Former Australian Test greats have demanded the immediate inclusion of new batting sensation David Warner into Australias one-day squad.
The name of the youngster who belted 89 off only 43 balls at the MCG on Sunday night is nowhere to be seen in Australian squad for the ODI series against South Africa.
Chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch is believed to be happy to review the squad after the first two of five ODI games, paving the way for the possible inclusion of the 22-year-old in the squad, the Daily Telegraph reported.
Test greats Shane Warne and Bill Lawry were in consensus with former Australian stars Darren Lehmann and Greg Blewett that Warner is a ready-made limited-overs player who can revitalise the Australian team.
Id add him to the one-day squad immediately. What we saw last night (Sunday) was a player who can take the game away from the opposition in a handful of overs. I know hes only played once but you can see hes got that capacity, Warne said.
Hes an exciting prospect and for the public its fabulous to see someone like that. Id rush him straight into the one-day squad for sure. Hes a different sort of player - he’’s just goes for it full stop. Let him play, hes an entertainer and a talent, he added.
Lawry, a former Australian skipper and veteran of 67 Tests, said Warners debut sent a loud and clear message.
Lehmann claimed Australias new boy wonder should be included in the one-day side without delay.
As Londons Daily Mail newspaper tipped Warner as an Ashes candidate this winter, the batsman insisted his goal was to play Test cricket rather than be regarded purely as a Twenty20 specialist. (ANI)
- Cricket Australia to review its outdated system for awarding national contracts - Apr 02, 2010
- Lee, Tait recalled for first ODI against England - Jan 11, 2011
- Marsh replaces Brett in Australian ODI squad for South Africa - Oct 13, 2011
- Australia select promising youngsters Smith, Birt for T20 against Pakistan - Feb 01, 2010
- Darren Lehmann can be a great coach: Shane Warne - Oct 20, 2011
- Australia include teenage fast bowler for India tour - Sep 02, 2010
- Bailey replaces Clarke for Sunday's ODI against India (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Ponting should give up captaincy to rediscover batting form: Blewett - Dec 29, 2010
- Experts in favour of Khwaja and Harris in Oz Ashes squad - Oct 17, 2010
- Tait should use T20, ODI series selection to re-launch his career: Blewett - Jan 08, 2009
- Watson was under-bowled at Gabba, is crucial to Oz attack: Blewett - Dec 02, 2010
- Injured Hussey, Hauritz out of Australia's World Cup squad - Feb 08, 2011
- Lee, Hodge named in Oz 30-man 2011 World Cup squad - Dec 17, 2010
- Veteran Hogg recalled to Australia's Twenty20 squad - Jan 23, 2012
- Too many matches causing player injuries: Katich - Mar 14, 2011
Tags: australian stars, batsman, bill lawry, daily mail, daily telegraph, david warner, greg blewett, hilditch, lehmann, mcg, odi series, odi squad, paving the way, selectors, shane warne, skipper, team id, test cricket, warners, youngster