Oz athletes denied chance to interact with media at Delhi airportSeptember 28th, 2010 - 12:49 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sep 28(ANI): Australia’s gymnastics team for the Delhi Commonwealth Games was reportedly denied a chance to speak to the media after touching down at the Indira Gandhi airport late on Monday.
According to The Sydney Morning Herald, local and Australian media person were told by police shortly before the arrival of the team that they would not be allowed to question the athletes.
“You will not speak to them, you will never speak to them,” the newspaper quoted a police official, as saying.
Despite the protests from Australian officials, the gymnasts were ordered straight to their waiting bus, and were allowed only to wave and smile at the cameras.
It came despite journalists having arranged the interview, and having earlier spoken to members of Australia’s bowls team at the same location on Monday morning.
The gymnasts were the second of a host of Australian squads due to arrive in the coming days.
Australia has topped the gold and total medal tallies at the past five Commonwealths, and is expected to once again be the number one nation.
Swimming, track and field, field hockey and cycling are generally prolific medal-yielding sports for Australia, while the nation has high expectations in gymnastics, diving, netball, tennis and boxing. (ANI)
- Oz CWG team chief seeks to allay security fears over travel advisory warning - Sep 30, 2010
- Oz athletes give thumbs up to Delhi Commonwealth Games on Twitter - Oct 02, 2010
- Aussies happy with Village despite security advisory (Lead) - Sep 28, 2010
- Tickets for major events sold out, now rush for leftovers - Oct 09, 2010
- CWG schedule: Day ten - Oct 13, 2010
- Aussie athletes "looking forward" to having good experience in Delhi CWG despite concerns - Sep 27, 2010
- 36 Indian shooters will be targetting 120 CWG medals - Aug 25, 2010
- With the clouds gone, CWG competitions set to begin Monday - Oct 03, 2010
- CWG: Nigerian gold winner fails dope test, first at Delhi (Afternoon Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
- Over 3,100 athletes in Delhi for CWG - Sep 28, 2010
- Wrestlers, shooters shine on India's golden day (Roundup) - Oct 06, 2010
- 52-member Australian swimming team arrive for Commonwealth Games - Sep 30, 2010
- Netball skipper McMahon to be Oz CWG flag bearer - Oct 02, 2010
- 92 railway players to participate in Games - Oct 01, 2010
- No issue flying national flags at Games venues: Oz Commonwealth chief - Sep 27, 2010
Tags: australian officials, bowls, commonwealth games, commonwealths, delhi airport, field hockey, gymnastics team, gymnasts, high expectations, indira gandhi, indira gandhi airport, medal tallies, media person, monday morning, morning herald, New Delhi, police official, protests, sydney morning herald, track and field