Over 70 cyclists to rally in Himachal’s mountainsOctober 14th, 2010 - 4:44 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Oct 14 (IANS) Over 70 cyclists will traverse the rugged ranges of Himachal Pradesh in the country’s toughest cycle rally - the Hercules MTB Himachal 2010 - that will begin from the state capital later this month.
“The sixth edition, which has over 70 cyclists, including 11 foreigners, would be flagged off from Shimla Oct 23,” Mohit Sood, president of the Himalayan Adventure Sports and Tourism Promotion Association (Hastpa), told IANS.
The cyclist would cover approximately 550 km in eight days, he said. The rally would pass through Shimla, Kullu and Mandi districts.
Teams representing the Indian Army, the Indian Air Force and the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) would also participate.
“The rally would pass through the Jalori Pass (at 3,223 metres), the highest point in the rally, in Kullu district,” said Sood.
The foreign participants are from the US, Austria, Germany, Nepal and Bhutan.
The Hercules MTB Himachal has been billed as the third toughest mountain biking event in the world. The other two are Trans-Alps Challenge (Europe) and Trans Rockies (Canada).
Two-time consecutive winner Padam Sabenhang of Nepal is again participating in the rally that will conclude here Oct 30.
- Nepal cyclist wins Himachal mountain biking event - Oct 30, 2010
- 76 cyclists to test skills on lofty mountains - Oct 23, 2010
- Himalayan cycling expedition begins Sep 30 - Sep 19, 2011
- Padam second time winner at Himachal mountain biking - Oct 07, 2009
- Swine flu takes toll on Himachal's mountain biking event - Sep 25, 2009
- Nepal woman cyclist makes it three on the trot - Oct 08, 2011
- Nepal woman pedals towards win in Himachal - again - Oct 05, 2011
- Here comes India's 'toughest' cycle expedition - Sep 17, 2009
- 70 set off on cycles to conquer rocky Himalayan terrain - Sep 27, 2009
- High adrenaline adventures in Himachal's rugged trails - Jun 01, 2011
- Sixth edition of mountain cycling competition ends in Shimla - Oct 31, 2010
- Manali hosts Hercules Mountain Biking Himachal 2008 - Oct 08, 2008
- Raid-de-Himalaya rally set to begin Oct 1 - Sep 18, 2011
- Paraplegic motorist sets his sights on Himalayan terrain (Feature) - Sep 23, 2011
- Dhumal flags off cycling marathon in Himachal Pradesh - Sep 27, 2008
Tags: adventure sports, austria germany, border police, challenge europe, consecutive winner, cyclists, eight days, himalayan adventure, indian air force, indian army, itbp, kullu, mandi, promotion association, rockies canada, rugged ranges, shimla, tibetan border, tourism promotion, trans rockies