Over 50 state hockey units to meet at Aamby ValleyJune 12th, 2009 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) More than 50 men’s and women’s state hockey units would attend Saturday’s meeting at Aamby Valley in Maharashtra to deliberate on the situation arising out of the setting up of Hockey India (HI) as the apex body for the sport, Bengal Hockey Association (BHA) president J.B Roy says.
“The office bearers of these associations would deliberate at length on how to cope with the unpleasant scenario that has arisen because of the blatant and undemocratic move by Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to set up Hockey India,” a BHA statement quoted Roy as saying.
IOA formed Hockey India after International Hockey Federation’s (FIH) issued a 15-day deadline to form a unified national body, merging the men’s and women’s units.
FIH has now given Hockey India six months to hold free and fair elections.
Roy and dissolved Indian Women’s Hockey Association secretary Amrit Bose have opposed the formation of Hockey India without holding elections.
“We are not against the basic concept of ‘Hockey India’ but we have serious doubts that it would serve any purpose because of the undemocratic manner in which it was set-up by IOA. The game needs revival and it would be possible if all right thinking experts get together and conduct their business in the most transparent and democratic manner,” Roy said.
“It is important to engage duly elected associations to draw the new vision for hockey,” he added.
As many as 28 men and 26 women state hockey units would be present in the meeting, the statement added.
“The dialogue to revive hockey is a great opportunity for those truly concerned about the future of the game. The dialogue is a rare opportunity given the sincerity with which it is being conducted,” Bose said.
- Hockey India acting in undemocratic manner: Roy to Negre - Jul 28, 2009
- J.B. Roy led hockey faction flexes its muscles - Jun 15, 2009
- Roy wants FIH to reconsider recognition to Hockey India - Jun 17, 2009
- IWHF springs to life and questions HI's legitimacy - Jun 10, 2010
- Roy calls parallel meeting after differences with Gill - Jun 11, 2009
- HI and IHF are on collision course after court order - May 22, 2010
- Reinstated by court, Gill vows to be back in action - May 21, 2010
- Hockey India election deferred, secretary general Aslam put in his papers - Nov 12, 2009
- World hockey looking at India as major hub for the sport - Feb 27, 2012
- Sports ministry to evaluate HI-IHF power sharing formula - Aug 04, 2011
- FIH decision unfortunate,uncalled for: IOA - Sep 06, 2011
- IHF and IWHF form joint body, to hold election in October - Aug 12, 2010
- HC verdict reinforces our stand on WSH: FIH - Feb 15, 2012
- Supreme Court allows IOA, Hockey India to select CWG hockey teams - Aug 27, 2010
- Hockey India and Gill-led IHF join hands for merger - Jun 14, 2009
Tags: amrit, apex, apex body, association secretary, bengal, bha, bose, democratic manner, fih, hockey association, indian olympic association, indian women, international hockey federation, maharashtra, new vision, rare opportunity, right thinking, sincerity, state hockey, undemocratic manner