Outstanding Taylor fires Windies to second straight winMay 3rd, 2012 - 2:05 pm ICT by IANS
Bridgetown (Barbados), May 3 (IANS/CMC) Captain Stafanie Taylor’s excellent all-round performance inspired the West Indies women’s team to a seven-run win over Sri Lanka in the second game of their five-match T20 series here Wednesday.
The right-hander top-scored with 62 as the hosts rattled up 129 for four off their 20 overs, and then returned to claim three for 23 with her off-spin to limit the tourists to 122 for nine.
West Indies lead the series 2-0 following their win Tuesday, and will now head to Trinidad for the last three matches.
Winning the toss and batting, West Indies flourished courtesy of two key partnerships, both anchored by Taylor who was leading the side for the second straight match in place of regular skipper Merissa Aguilleira.
She put on 50 for the first wicket with Juliana Nero whose 29 came from 32 balls and included five fours.
Taylor, playing with equal authority on either side of the wicket, faced just 49 balls and lashed six fours and lofted six over wide long-on.
When Nero was bowled swinging across the line at left-arm spinner Chandima Gunaratne in the ninth over, West Indies slipped to 73 for three before Taylor put on a further 46 with Shemaine Campbelle who scored a breezy unbeaten 22 from 18 balls.
In Sri Lanka’s run chase, Deepika Rasangika and Inoka Galagedara added a run-a-ball 43 for the third wicket after they lost two early wickets.
While Rasangika top-scored with 39 from 42 balls, Galagedara scored 25 from 23 balls.
Taylor was adjudged the player of the match.
Brief scores: West Indies 129 for four off 20 overs (Stafanie Taylor 62, Juliana Nero 29, Shemaine Campbelle 22 not out; Chandima Gunaratne 2-20). Sri Lanka 122 for nine off 20 overs (Deepika Rasangika 39, Inoka Galagedara 25, Chamani Seneviratne 25; Stafanie Taylor 3-23)
- Daley's all-round effort lifts Windies to series win - Apr 30, 2012
- Eighth-wicket stand gives Windies women series win - May 07, 2012
- Daley shines again as West Indies win T20 opener - May 02, 2012
- Sri Lankan women win second ODI - Apr 28, 2012
- West Indies qualify for ICC Women's World cup - Nov 21, 2011
- Daley, Mohammed star in West Indies eves' win - Apr 26, 2012
- Windies overcome Taylor century, win series - Jul 15, 2012
- Tame batting sends Windies women to three-wicket loss - Sep 02, 2011
- India A dismissed for 190 in first one-dayer - Jun 28, 2012
- West Indies, Australia reach semis of women's World T20 - May 08, 2010
- India A lose to West Indies A - Jun 28, 2012
- Bravo says West Indies must avoid clean sweep - Jun 20, 2012
- Bravo, Smith star in West Indies win - Jun 14, 2012
- I seized the opportunity: Sunil Narine - Jul 16, 2012
- West Indies end five-year drought against Australia - Mar 19, 2012
Tags: balls, barbados, chase, deepika, fires, gunaratne, inoka, juliana, left arm, match, nine west, partnerships, right hander, second game, six fours, skipper, tourists, west indies, wicket, wickets