O’Sullivan puts one foot in snooker finalMay 5th, 2012 - 3:18 pm ICT by IANS
Sheffield (England), May 5 (IANS) Ronnie O’Sullivan moved closer to the World Snooker Championship final Friday after his six-frame burst helped him take a 11-5 lead over Matthew Stevens.
In the best of 33 frames match, O’Sullivan, three-time winner of snooker’s biggest tournament, needs to win six more frames in the remaining two sessions Saturday for his fourth final in the Crucible Theatre.
O’Sullivan opened the lead 5-3 after the first session, continuing his scintillating form highlighted by two century breaks of 110 and 113 and winning six consecutive frames.
It is a feat the English veteran has achieved in every round of the Championship, Xinhua reports.
Though the result seemingly proved lopsided, it was Stevens who regained momentum in the afternoon by winning the first two frames, drawing level with the “Rocket” at 5-5 after a break of 60 and a brilliant 63 clearance.
But the offensive-minded O’Sullivan re-established the lead with a break of 62 and then his first century of the session to lead 7-5.
The ruthless 37-year-old was in top gear to clinch another three frames by hitting successive breaks, leaving no room for the Welsh Dragon.
The World No. 13 sealed the session with another crispy century to put one foot in the final.
In the other semifinal, Allister Carter led Stephen Maguire 14- 10 after the third-session battle.
- Carter, O'Sullivan set up second final encounter at snooker - May 06, 2012
- O'Sullivan reaches World snooker semis - May 03, 2012
- O'Sullivan beats Carter to win fourth world snooker crown - May 08, 2012
- Snooker king Hendry ends 27-year career - May 02, 2012
- Cao trails Ryan 6-2 after first session at world snooker - Apr 28, 2012
- Cao trails Ryan 2-6 after first session at world snooker (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Jones shocks Murphy on world snooker championship debut - Apr 24, 2012
- British champion Trump suffers shock defeat in snooker championship - May 01, 2012
- Ryan Day takes slender lead against Ding in world snooker - Apr 25, 2012
- Advani in second round - Aug 10, 2012
- Chinese debutant Cao stuns Allen at world snooker - Apr 23, 2012
- Mark Williams in last 16 of snooker worlds - Apr 27, 2012
- World snooker: Cao Yupeng loses, Hendry thrashes holder - Apr 29, 2012
- Advani scalps McManus - Aug 21, 2012
- Iranian teenager pockets World Snooker title - Dec 04, 2011
Tags: burst, consecutive frames, crucible theatre, dragon, matthew stevens, momentum, ronnie o sullivan, sessions, sheffield england, stephen maguire, time winner, top gear, veteran, welsh dragon, world snooker championship, xinhua