Organizers facing crisis for Asian Games 2010March 6th, 2009 - 1:46 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
On Friday, a state press reported that the organizer of the 2010 Asian Games said they were facing trouble building stadiums and finding sponsors because of the global economic crisis
‘No one can avoid the impact of the financial crisis, which has had an affect on the preparations for the upcoming Games,’ Zhang Guangning, the mayor of southern Guangzhou city which will host the Games, was quoted as saying.
On Thursday Mr Zhang told the reporters in Beijing the event’s organising committee was facing ’some difficulties developing stadiums, and finding sponsors”, according to the China Daily newspaper.
‘Most of the investment for the Games will come from market development. But what if we can’t collect the funds in case our potential sponsors’ businesses fail in the crisis? It is a matter of great concern to us,’ Mr Fang said.
Guangzhou and the surrounding Pearl River Delta area has been one of the main export hubs for China, and as such has suffered badly with many factory closures in recent months as overseas markets have dried up.
The Games are slated to feature 45 countries with 14,000 athletes and officials from Nov 12-27, 2010. There will be 42 sports, up from 39 at the last Games in Qatar.
The Guangzhou government has already pumped lots of money into upgrading the airport, railway stations and other services, in a similar manner to the efforts in Beijing ahead of last year’s Olympics.
- Financial crisis hits China's Asian Games sponsors - Mar 07, 2009
- Asian Games stayed within budget: Guangzhou finance chief - Mar 04, 2011
- Asian Games to kick-off with water-themed ceremony - Nov 11, 2010
- Asian Games begin with another awesome Chinese masterpiece (Roundup) - Nov 12, 2010
- Chinese official suspended for beating air stewardess - Sep 04, 2012
- China's Guangzhou city ready to host Asian Games, as Delhi struggles with CWG 2010 - Jul 27, 2010
- 600 arrested in Asian Games security check - Nov 07, 2010
- Chinese shipping aims for global leadership - Mar 13, 2012
- China guarantees overseas media rights to cover Asian Games - Aug 03, 2010
- Unlike Guangzhou, New Delhi still not prepared for media accreditation of CWG - Jul 28, 2010
- Room for Hindu prayers at Guangzhou Asian Games in China - Nov 09, 2010
- Police pull out all the stops for XVIth Asiad in Guangzhou - Oct 30, 2010
- Guangzhou says ready for Asian Games, while Delhi struggles with CWG - Aug 04, 2010
- China starts driverless metro service for Asian Games - Nov 09, 2010
- OCA president arrives for biggest ever Asian Games - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: airport railway, asian games 2010, beijing, china daily, financial crisis, global economic crisis, guangzhou city, hubs, last games, lots of money, mr fang, organising committee, organizers, overseas markets, pearl river, pearl river delta, railway stations, river delta area, stadiums, upcoming games